Instead, it will be largely remembered for the ugly scenes that erupted before West Ham's game with Manchester United Tuesday, after the visitors' bus was attacked as it crept towards the Boleyn Ground.
Both West Ham and the English Football Association have promised to find the culprits of the bus attack, with the London club threatening life bans to any supporters found guilty.
"It was an extraordinary night full of extraordinary moments in front of extraordinary fans," the club said in a statement after the game, referring to West Ham's dramatic 3-2 comeback win.
"Ninety-nine percent of whom behaved impeccably and were a credit to the club. However, we are aware that there were some supporters outside the Boleyn Ground who didn't act in an appropriate way when the Manchester United team bus was damaged.
"That was not acceptable and we will work with the police to identify those responsible and ban them for life."
A video taken by Manchester United star Jesse Lingard inside the team bus showed the squad lying down in the isle as projectiles hit its windows, partly smashing the outer tinting.
The match was delayed by 45 minutes after the United coach became stuck outside the stadium car park as throngs of fans lined the streets prior to kick off.
Footage also emerged of bottles being thrown at United goalkeeper David De Gea as he celebrated Anthony Martial's equalizer, while another fan ran onto the pitch and confronted the Spain international following Winston Reid's winning goal.
"The FA strongly condemns the unsavory incidents this evening involving both the Manchester United team coach outside West Ham United's Boleyn Ground and objects thrown from a section of the home support during the game," the footballing body said on Twitter.
"We will work closely with both clubs and the Metropolitan Police to fully investigate these matters."
West Ham co-chairman David Sullivan last night denied the coach had been attacked, but has since released a statement apologizing to Tuesday's opponents.
"When I was asked about the incident prior to yesterday's game, I was unaware of the damage that had occurred to the Manchester United team bus," the statement read.
"I want to apologize to Manchester United for that damage and assure them that we will be doing all we can to track down those responsible and ban them for life."
It's not the first time this season that United have had problems arriving for a game in London. In April, Tottenham's Premier League game with United was delayed by 30 minutes as the visitors' team bus was stuck in traffic.
The Metropolitan Police confirmed that four male officers suffered minor injuries, while three fans had been arrested during the game -- two for pitch incursions.
"The circumstances before the match were unusual and that will be an influence but I'm not looking for excuses," said United manager Louis van Gaal, though the Manchester club is yet to officially comment on the incident.