Brussels attacks: Email order to close metro sent to wrong address

Brussels email mistake may have cost lives
People read messages on a commemorative wall at the Maelbeek - Maalbeek metro station on its re-opening day on April 25, 2016 in Brussels, after being closed since the 22 March attacks in the Belgian capital. Maelbeek - Maalbeek metro station was hit by one of the three Islamic State suicide bombers who struck Brussels airport and metro on March 22, killing 32 people and injuring hundreds. / AFP PHOTO / JOHN THYSJOHN THYS/AFP/Getty Images

    JUST WATCHED

    Brussels email mistake may have cost lives

MUST WATCH

Brussels email mistake may have cost lives 01:46

Story highlights

  • 16 people were killed in the suicide bombing in the Maelbeek metro station
  • 16 were killed at the airport in twin bombings an hour earlier

Brussels (CNN)An order to close the Brussels metro ahead of the deadly March terror attacks on the network failed to reach relevant authorities, in part because an email from Belgian federal police was sent to the wrong address, a parliamentary commission has heard.

The commission, established to investigate the March 22 bombings and whether they could have been prevented, heard this week that the senior police official in charge of Brussels' metro networks first learned more than an hour before the deadly bombing at Maelbeek metro station that the explosions at the city's airport were a terror attack.
    Source: Paris, Brussels attackers eyed Euro 2016
    Source: Paris, Brussels attackers eyed Euro 2016

      JUST WATCHED

      Source: Paris, Brussels attackers eyed Euro 2016

    MUST WATCH

    Source: Paris, Brussels attackers eyed Euro 2016 02:11
    At 8:03 a.m. local time -- five minutes after the twin blasts at Brussels' Zavantem airport that killed 16 -- Jo Decuyper, chief of railway police for the Brussels region, was informed by military sources at the airport that the blasts were suicide bombings, the commission heard.
    A third attacker struck the Maelbeek metro station in central Brussels at 9:11 a.m., killing 16 others.
    ISIS claimed responsibility for the attacks.

    Order to close sent at 8.50 a.m.

    The commission heard that a federal alert was issued by Belgium's Federal Crisis Center at 8:50 a.m., including an order to close the metro and the main railway stations in Brussels -- but it never reached the relevant authorities.
    A memorial inside Brussels' Maelbeek metro station
    A memorial inside Brussels' Maelbeek metro station

      JUST WATCHED

      A memorial inside Brussels' Maelbeek metro station

    MUST WATCH

    A memorial inside Brussels' Maelbeek metro station 01:10
    Seventeen minutes later, at 9:07 a.m., federal police sent Decuyper an email ordering the closure of the Brussels metro network until noon, the commission heard.
    But, Decuyper told the commission, it was sent to his personal email address, and he did not see the message until after the attacks.
    Even if he had seen the message, it would have made no difference, as "at least 30 minutes" were needed to evacuate the metro network, he told the commission.
    It was only after the explosion at 9:11 a.m. that the station was closed and the network evacuated.
    Maelbeek station reopened on April 25.

    Paris, Brussels attacks linked, say investigators

    Investigators say the same ISIS network was behind the Paris terror attacks that killed 130 people in November, and the Brussels suicide bombings.
    See 'the man in the hat's' hideout
    brussels belgium abrini hideout morgan pkg_00000000

      JUST WATCHED

      See 'the man in the hat's' hideout

    MUST WATCH

    See 'the man in the hat's' hideout 01:58
    The Belgian prosecutor said last month that the network initially planned to strike again in France but changed its target when French investigators appeared to be closing in on those responsible for the Paris attacks.
    The Brussels bombings took place four days after the arrest in the city of Salah Abdeslam, a key suspect in the Paris attacks.
    The Belgian-born French citizen is currently facing charges in a Paris court of participation in terrorist murder, and taking part in the activities of a terrorist organization.
    Swedish citizen Ossama Krayem has been charged in connection with both the Brussels and Paris attacks, with a Belgian prosecutor calling him "omnipresent" during the planning of both plots.
    Mohamed Abrini, a Belgian-Moroccan who was arrested in Brussels last month, has also been linked to both attacks.