- Iraqi security forces reported progress to the east and south of Mosul on their approach to the city
- Coalition forces recaptured nine villages from ISIS on road to Mosul
Near Mosul, Iraq (CNN)The battle to recapture Mosul from ISIS could take two months, a Peshmerga military commander told CNN on Tuesday, the second day of the long-awaited offensive to liberate Iraq's second city.
Progress east and south of Mosul
Did Turkish planes take part?
- At least 9 villages liberated on first day
- 75 sq miles (200 sq km) of territory gained by coalition forces
- Pentagon spokesman: Iraqi forces have "met their objectives" so far and are "ahead of schedule"
- Also warns: Offensive "will be a difficult campaign that could take some time"