- Report into July violence in Juba finds serious shortcomings by UN mission
- Report: "Overall lack of leadership, preparedness and integration" in response to violence
(CNN)UN Secretary General Ban Ki-moon has fired the commander of the peacekeeping force in South Sudan saying he is "deeply distressed" by the findings of a report on deadly violence in South Sudan's capital in July and the actions of the UN mission in the country.
Lack of leadership
- An overall lack of leadership, preparedness and integration among the various components of the mission.
- A culture of reporting and acting in silos inhibited effective action during a period in which swift, joint action was essential.
- Forces did not operate under a unified command, resulting in multiple and sometimes conflicting orders to the four troop contingents from China, Ethiopia, Nepal and India.
- Peacekeepers were risk-averse.