- 28 prisoners escaped during deadly shootout between prisoners, police, officials say
- It marks the sixth time this year Brazil's prisoners have been killed in riots, clashes with police
(CNN)At least two inmates are dead after prisoners in Brazil's Piraquara State Penitentiary 1 apparently blasted a hole through a wall and exchanged gunfire with police early Sunday, according to prison officials.
- The new year ushered in the wave of violence when 56 prisoners were killed at the Anisio Jobim Penitentiary Complex in Manaus. The riots, which reportedly began over disagreements regarding drug trade in the prison, left men decapitated, their bodies thrown over the prison wall.
- Four inmates were killed January 2 at the Prison Unit of Puraquequara in Manaus.
- In Roraima state, 33 people were killed January 6 at the Agricultural Penitentiary of Monte Cristo.
- On January 8, four prisoners were killed in the Desembargador Raimundo Vidal Pessoa public jail in Manaus.
- And over the weekend, at least 26 men were killed during a riot at State Penitentiary of Alcaçuz, in Brazil's Rio Grande do Norte state, according to a government tweet. The riot, which began after clashes between two rival gangs, lasted 14 hours, ending Sunday morning, the state-run news outlet Agencia Brasil said.