Paris Orly Airport: Father of gunman says son ‘not a terrorist’

terrorist attack paris mann bell segment_00000708.jpg
Official: Paris airport attacker praised Allah
03:40 - Source: CNN

Story highlights

Father says son's actions caused by drink and drugs

Authorities say suspect also fired four shots at a bar Saturday morning

Paris CNN  — 

The father of the man shot dead at Orly Airport in Paris after attacking a French solider insisted Sunday his son was “not a terrorist.”

Ziyed Ben Belgacem held a gun on a female soldier while shouting: “I am here to die in the name of Allah. … There will be deaths,” before two of the soldier’s comrades shot him dead Saturday, a prosecutor told reporters.

But speaking to France’s Europe 1 radio, Belgacem’s father denied his son was a terrorist and instead blamed his actions on drugs and alcohol.

“My son was not a terrorist. He never prayed and he drank,” said the father, who is not being named by French authorities.

“This is what happens under the influence of drink and cannabis.”

Toxicological tests revealed the presence of alcohol, cannabis and cocaine in Belgacem’s body, said Paris prosecutor’s office spokesperson Agnès Thibault-Lecuivre. The prosecutor’s office said Belgacem’s blood alcohol was measured at a level nearly twice the legal limit for driving in France.

Belgacem was also accused of shooting a police officer earlier in the day when he stole the officer’s weapon. That officer has non-life-threatening wounds, officials said.

Belgacem had been imprisoned several times on violence and theft convictions, including one five-year stint that began in 2009, said Paris Prosecutor Francois Molins.

French terrorism investigators will lead the inquiry into the attacks, Molins said.

Father: Belgacem was ‘very angry’

The father, who was released by police Sunday, described how his son had called him after the first shooting.

He described his son as being “very angry” and said that he asked for forgiveness.

“He said to me: ‘Daddy, please forgive me. I’ve screwed up with a police officer,’” the father said.

“I said I didn’t forgive him ‘because you hurt a policeman.’”

Belgacem’s brother and a cousin were still being questioned Sunday.

Airport scene

When Belgacem got to Orly Airport in the southern outskirts of Paris, he went to the South Terminal, carrying a weapon and a can of gas in his rucksack, Molins said.

He grabbed the female soldier and used her as a shield. They struggled over her weapon, the prosecutor said. With the soldier on her knees, the gunman rose enough for the other two soldiers to shoot him several times. The whole scene unfolded in just a couple of minutes, Molins said.

Belgacem’s plans were unclear, adding that an investigation will determine whether he acted as a “lone wolf,” Molins said.

Prior attack on Saturday

Molins said Belgacem was involved in several incidents before heading to the airport.

• 6:55 a.m.: Shoots police officer after being stopped for speeding and driving with headlights turned off near Stains, in northern suburbs of Paris.

• Time not given: Goes to a bar in Vitry-sur-Seine where he had been until 3 a.m. and fires four shots with gun stolen from the police officer. No one is wounded.

• Short time later: Drives from bar (where he leaves cell phone), carjacks a new vehicle.

8:06 a.m.: Arrives at Orly Airport.

About 16 minutes later, Belgacem assaulted the soldier.

Hours after the airport incident, police launched an operation in the same northern Paris suburb where the officer was shot, the National Police tweeted. The agency did not specify the reason for the operation.

Belgacem, who was born in 1978, was under supervision by authorities, Molins said, echoing Interior Minister Bruno Le Roux’s earlier comments that Belgacem was known to intelligence services.

Soldiers lauded for response

French Defense Minister Jean-Yves Le Drian commended the soldiers who responded to the airport threat.

They responded with “remarkable professionalism and self-control” to protect their colleague and the public, he said.

This was the fourth attack against security forces deployed as part of France’s Operation Sentinel, Le Drian said. The national security operation was launched after the Paris terror attacks in January 2015. France has been under a state of emergency since November that year.

Le Roux also praised the swift response of security forces at the airport.

President François Hollande said the incident demonstrated that the ongoing national security operation – which has placed extra security forces at airports, train stations and other public places – is “absolutely essential” to keep people safe.

“I want to salute the courage and the exceptional behavior of the security forces who managed to put away the individual and to do so in an extremely complex situation because this occurred in Orly Airport,” he said at a news conference.

The anti-terrorism prosecutor is investigating the motives and circumstances of Saturday’s attack and the existence of any accomplices, according to a presidential statement.

Politicians add praise

French police secure the area at Orly airport on Saturday.

French presidential candidates, who are campaigning ahead of next month’s first round of voting, took to Twitter to pay tribute to the response by the police and the military.

Emmanuel Macron, an independent centrist, said the military “once again showed their professionalism this morning in Orly.”

François Fillon, of the center-right Republican party, said: “Tribute to the men and women of Sentinel who work for our security and once again displayed courage and efficiency.”

Marine Le Pen, presidential candidate for the far-right Front National party, said: “France brimming over with violence, a consequence of the lax successive governments. But there is the bravery of our soldiers!”

‘Traffic resuming gradually’

The airport was evacuated as an elite operations unit and bomb squad officers rushed to the scene. More than 450 officers were involved in the operation to secure the airport and search for evidence, France’s National Police said.

Orly flights were suspended for several hours Saturday afternoon. Some flights were rerouted to Paris Charles De Gaulle Airport.

By Sunday morning, Paris Airports, the group that manages the city’s airports, tweeted, “Traffic resuming gradually.”

Travel for about 2,000 people had been severely disrupted, said the president of Paris Airports, Augustin de Romanet.

“It has been very disruptive, because we could fear many, many things, but all the police forces and the army have been very effective, so everything is OK now,” he said.

Paris Orly Airport is France’s second-busiest airport, with international and domestic air traffic.

CNN’s Melissa Bell reported from Paris. James Masters and Laura Smith-Spark reported and wrote from London. CNN’s Saskya Vandoorne and Pierre-Eilott Buet contributed to this report.