Jones May Announce Appeal Decision This Week
WASHINGTON (AllPolitics, April 13) -- Paula Jones, whose lawsuit against Bill Clinton touched off the Monica Lewinsky furor, may announce this week whether she will appeal the recent dismissal of her case.
Jones spokeswoman Susan Carpenter McMillan said Sunday an announcement by Jones is likely Thursday, with the timing "99 percent sure."
It's not known, though, whether Jones will appeal. After the ruling, her lawyers expressed a desire to challenge Judge Susan Webber Wright's ruling, but Jones has not spoken out publicly. She was said to be tearful and disappointed at the ruling.
According to sources in the Jones camp, an appeal is "90 per cent certain."
Two sources took part in conversations with Jones and her advisers late
last week and over the weekend. While both sources agree she is largely
inclined to move forward, they still plan to meet Wednesday with Jones face-to-face in
Dallas, where her attorneys' offices are, to present, as one lawyer put it, "some harsh realities" if she goes forward.
There is division among Jones' lawyers about the prospects for
success, and discussions Wednesday will review the entire matter.
On Thursday Jones will hold a news conference to announce her final decision, which, the sources say, will "probably" be to proceed.
Jones accused then-Gov. Clinton of making a crude sexual pass at her in 1991 at a hotel in Little Rock. Clinton has said he doesn't recall meeting her, and has denied wrongdoing.
In dismissing the case, Judge Wright said whatever had occurred, Jones had not shown she or her career had been damaged.
Pre-trial discovery in the case led lawyers to Lewinsky, who is at the center of a grand jury investigation into whether Clinton had a sexual relationship with the former White House intern and urged her to lie about. The president has denied both allegations.
CNN's Bob Franken contributed to this report.