Return to Transcripts main page


Inside A "Torture Chamber"; Castro Arraigned; Ariel Castro's Daughter Speaks Exclusively To CNN; Olympian Dies When Yacht Flips; Jodi Arias In Psychiatric Ward; Tamerlan Tsarnaev Buried

Aired May 10, 2013 - 06:00   ET


ZORAIDA SAMBOLIN, CNN ANCHOR: -- for the alleged killing of all the fetuses. And a CNN exclusive this morning, the daughter that is closest to Ariel Castro speaking out about the charges against her father. Listen to Angie Gregg describe the moment when she learned he'd been arrested.


ANGIE GREGG, ARIEL CASTRO'S DAUGHTER: It was like everything crashed down like I just wanted to melt into the floor. Like I just -- I just wanted to die. I have no problem cutting him out of my life. I have no problem doing that. I never want to see him again.


SAMBOLIN: We'll have much more of that powerful and incredibly exclusive interview with Ariel Castro's daughter in just a moment from now.

First, with more on Castro's day in court, and a first look into the backyard of his home, as well, and his dark past. Let's go live to Pamela Brown outside the home of freed kidnap victim Gina Dejesus. I think you're in front of her aunt's house, right?

PAMELA BROWN, CNN CORRESPONDENT: That's right, Zoraida. There's really been just an outpouring of support for these women, and you can probably see behind me here, there are batches of balloons right outside the home here, Zoraida.

As these victims heal and recover from their ordeal, we are learning that Castro has confessed to authorities to at least some of his actions related to his behavior toward the women over the past decade.


BROWN (voice-over): These exclusive pictures obtained by CNN give us the first glimpse into Ariel Castro's backyard. Though much of it is obscured by tarps you can see junk strewn all around and this eerie image of a white cross spotted by a neighbor. At his first court appearance, Castro looked despondent repeatedly looking down and seemingly making eye contact with no one.

TIMOTHY J. MCGINTY, CUYAHOGA COUNTRY PROSECUTOR: We evaluate whether to seek charges eligible for the death penalty. BROWN: Following his arraignment, Cuyahoga County Prosecutor Tim McGinty made it clear additional charges could be added. Castro already faces four counts of kidnapping and three counts of rape.

MCGINTY: For each and every act of sexual violence, rape, each day of kidnapping, every felonious assault, all his attempted murders, and each act of aggravated murder.

BROWN: An initial police incident report says one of the women, Michele Knight, became pregnant at least five times during her captivity. And that each time Castro starved her and punched her repeatedly in the stomach until she miscarried. For reasons still unknown Amanda Berry was able to give birth to her baby, and Castro forced Knight to deliver it.

According to the report, when the child stopped breathe Knight gave the baby CPR. As investigators sift through at least 200 pieces of evidence taken out of this house of horrors, one in particular is getting attention. Details of a note written by Castro in 2004 have surfaced.

According to law enforcement sources Castro wrote about being abused by a family member, in an attempt to justify his own horrid actions. According to WOIO reporter Scott Taylor, Castro says, quote, "I am a sexual predator." He reportedly writes about picking up three women, saying they are here against their will because they made the mistake of getting in the car with a total stranger.

Sources say Castro has been cooperating with investigators, and has confessed to some of his actions. Ariel Castro's daughter Arlene gave an emotional interview to ABC News.

ARLENE CASTRO, ARIEL CASTRO'S DAUGHTER: I would like to say, I'm absolutely so, so sorry. I really want to see you, Gina and I want you to meet my kids. I'm so sorry for everything.


BROWN: Back live here this is actually the outside of Gina Dejesus' parents' home. You can see all these balloons. Underneath these balloons, one of Gina's missing signs from years ago. We spoke to Gina's aunt.

Our Anderson Cooper spoke to Sandra Ruiz and said Gina is in good spirits that she's still readjusting to this new reality. And Zoraida, we're hearing that there's been such a big outpouring of support for the -- from the community for these victims.

That now police are asking for all letters, anything to come to them, rather than these families. They're just asking to give them the privacy they need right now.

SAMBOLIN: You know what? I got a little confused earlier, because I spent a lot of hours at that home and one of the interesting things that you can see on your live shot is that blue tarp that they put up on the side of the house. That is so that Gina can go outdoors and enjoy the fresh air.

Enjoy being outside without all of the glare of the cameras. It's really nice to see that that's still up for her. That's a special moment. Let's talk about Castro's DNA testing that is happening right now. They're trying to see if his DNA may be linked to other crimes or missing persons' cases. How soon could we see the results of the DNA test?

BROWN: Well, we could see them as soon as today, Zoraida. We learned that Ohio's attorney general has put a rush order on the results of that DNA test for Ariel Castro. Normally, it takes about 20 days. But authorities are using special resources to speed up the process so that we get the results within 24 hours which would be today because the DNA sample was taken yesterday.

They want to run the sample through a database to see if his DNA is connected to any previous crimes or any missing persons' cases before now. So we should be seeing those results soon.

SAMBOLIN: All right, Pamela Brown outside Gina Dejesus' house. Thank you very much for that. We appreciate it.

The daughter closest to kidnapping suspect Ariel Castro is speaking exclusively to CNN. Angie Gregg is angry and she is so heartbroken. She says she never saw signs of the horror that was allegedly unfolding right inside her father's house. And she wants the world to know her family does not have monster in their blood.

Lori Segal with an interview that you will only see right here on CNN.


GREGG: All these weird things that I've noticed over, you know, over the years, like about, you know, how he kept his house locked down so tight, certain areas, and you know, how if we'd be out at my grandma's having dinner, he would disappear for an hour or so, and then come back. And there would be no explanation where he went. Like it's -- everything's making sense now. It's all adding up and I'm just -- I'm disgusted. I'm horrified.

UNIDENTIFIED FEMALE: Did you ever try to get in that basement?

GREGG: Not since I was -- when I was very young when my mom was still living there I did pick locks on the basement because there was a cheap Masterlock on the door. Picked the lock and we went snooping. I remember there being a fish tank down there, which was odd because there was nobody down there to look at the fish.

UNIDENTIFIED FEMALE: Did you ever see any signs of a 6-year-old there?

GREGG: I never saw signs in the house. I never saw her with him, but about two months ago, he picked me up, we spent the afternoon together, I just had some service on my car and he showed me a picture that was in his cell phone randomly and he said look at this cute little girl. It was a face shot and I said she's cute, who is that? You know, and he said, this is my girlfriend's child. And I said, Dad, that girl looks like Emily. Emily's my younger sister. And he said, no, that's -- that's not my child, that's my girlfriend's child by somebody else.

UNIDENTIFIED FEMALE: Your family is attached to this stigma. What is the message that you want to tell people that they might not understand?

GREGG: That my father's actions are not a reflection of everyone in the family. They're definitely not a reflection of myself or my children. We don't have monster in our blood.

UNIDENTIFIED FEMALE: You never want to talk to your dad again?

GREGG: No. I have no problem cutting him out of my life. I have no problem doing that. I never want to see him again. And another thing that I would like to ask him is, when did he think this was going to be over? How did he think it was going to end?

You're 52 years old. Did you think that you could carry this charade forever? What did you think that was going to happen? And eventually, you would have been caught, and then what of these girls? What of your family? You didn't care.

UNIDENTIFIED FEMALE: What message do you have for these girls? They're safe now. They're no longer there, but they were held captive and their whole lives were turned upside down. What message do you have for these women and their families?

GREGG: I feel so much -- so much sorrow that they had to endure this. I'm glad that you're back home with your family finally because they never stopped thinking about you. They never stopped -- they never forgot you. They always thought you were alive when everybody else thought you were gone.

I also, you know, I also feel sorrow that Michele's case, you know, because I'm just now hearing about her, too, that her case was, you know, treated differently because she was an adult when she came up missing, like that's -- it's real tragic because she was taken against her will, as well, and it's -- it's sickening. It's sickening.

Because that could have -- that could be anybody in that position. You know, in a blink of an eye you can be -- you could be abducted, you know, brutalized, and nobody would ever know it. You could be right around the corner and nobody would ever know it. It just goes to show.

UNIDENTIFIED FEMALE: Do you want to see them at all? Would you like to see them at any point?

GREGG: I would love to see them. I would love to see the little girl, Jocelyn, but I don't want to pressure them at all. And that's maybe further down the road. Maybe it will be a possibility. I would really love that, but you know right now these girls need to heal.


SAMBOLIN: It really breaks your heart to see these girls and how much they're suffering as all of these new details come out. We're going to talk to Lori Segal. She's going to join us on "STARTING POINT" in our 7:00 hour to get some more details about this and actually how she actually got this interview, as well. It's really interesting -- John.

JOHN BERMAN, CNN ANCHOR: I can't believe it as I'm listening to the daughter piece together last 10 years and all of her interactions with her father and filling in the holes in that relationship, it's just crazy. All right, Zoraida, thanks so much.

It's 10 minutes after the hour right now, new this morning, high speed, high risk and now deadly. The death of an Olympic gold medal winning sailor raising questions about the safety of high speed yacht racing this morning, the 36-year-old Andrew Simpson, who you can see on the right of this picture, was killed when his yacht crashed in San Francisco Bay trapping him underneath, underwater, for about 10 minutes. Here's Dan Simon.


DAN SIMON, CNN CORRESPONDENT (voice-over): After the highest speeds the 72-feet catamarans look as if they're almost flying. In the right conditions, they can reach speeds of 45 miles an hour. That's why a capsize can turn deadly.

It happened Thursday afternoon in the San Francisco Bay. A boat operated by the "Artemis" racing team went end over end, hurling its team of 12 sailors into the water. The crew representing Sweden had been practicing for this summer's America's Cup.

Andrew Simpson, an Olympic gold medallist and well-known figure in the sailing world, died after being trapped underneath the vessel. A desperate scene unfolded on the shore as paramedics tried to save his life.

PAUL CAYARD, CEO, ARTEMIS RACING: It's shocking, it's an experience to go through and we have a lot to deal with in the next few days in terms of assuring everybody's well-being.

SIMON: Winds Thursday were strong on the bay but not abnormal. It's one of the reasons San Francisco Bay is considered a sailor's nirvana and why the America's Cup is being held here this summer.

JOANNE HAYES-WHITE, CHIEF, SAN FRANCISCO FIRE DEPARTMENT: It's a tragic day. This is someone that's very well-known and well-regarded as an expert racer. And everyone worked really hard to not have this outcome. These are always difficult things to report and our hearts go out to family and members of the racing team from the "Artemis."

SIMON: It wasn't the first mishap involving one of these yachts. Last fall team "Oracle" from the United States capsized its $8 million boat in a nearby part of the bay. But no one was seriously injured in the accident. The team had another close call in 2011 when a smaller catamaran pitch-pulled, sending sailors flying through the air.

These boats are all harnessing new technology allowing them to travel faster than ever before. It's not immediately clear what caused the "Artemis" boat to capsize, but with one of the sports star sailors dead and other high-profile incidents, the debate is growing whether these boats, engineering marvels they may be, are too dangerous for competition. Dan Simon, CNN, San Francisco.


BERMAN: And our thanks to Dan for that report. New developments this morning in the Jodi Areas murder case. Arias is now being held in a prison psychiatric ward. She's under constant supervision at the psych word at the lower buckeye jail in Phoenix. HLN's Dr. Drew Pinsky says he doesn't think that Arias is faking it.


DR. DREW PINSKY, HOST, HLN'S "DR. DREW ON CALL": If somebody's in a psychiatric ward, a clinician takes that responsibility just to meet criteria to be there. That's not just a manipulation. On top of that, Christi, I would say if I were the warden and I had somebody doing a news interview where she had just said, I want to die, boom, that person goes in a locked facility.


BERMAN: The penalty face of the Arias murder trial, which began just yesterday, has been postponed now until next Wednesday.

This morning, Minnesota is one step closer to becoming the 12th state to allow same-sex marriage. Supporters mobbed members of the State House chanting their thanks after the House voted in favor of letting gay couples marry.

The State Senate plans to consider the bill on Monday. It is expected to pass there, as well and Governor Mark Dayton has pledged to sign this measure into law.

Caught on camera, a wild shoot-out at close range with police and suspected marijuana growers in Miami. Surveillance footage of this fierce gun battle last July surfaced yesterday. The video shows one of the suspects getting out of the car and shooting at police officers and FBI agents.

A detective was seriously hurt in this, and the suspect Gerard Delgado was killed when police returned fire. Police say they found 80 pounds of marijuana inside a grow house operated by the suspects.

Still ahead this morning, a controversial burial, Boston bombing suspect Tamerlan Tsarnaev finally laid to rest at a secret gravesite. We'll have the latest details next.


SAMBOLIN: Welcome back. I'm Zoraida Sambolin. I'm live in Cleveland.

And the details emerging about the case of these three women held in captivity are just unthinkable. Ariel Castro's daughter said now her father is a monster. But was he always a monster?

You know, neighbors here say that he was nice. He was a fun-loving man who enjoyed music, riding his motorcycle.

Coming up, we're going to try to find out exactly who Ariel Castro is. We're going to take a look at the man behind the house of horrors.

There are so many unanswered questions here, John. The community is really reeling. This is a man that they didn't know a lot about him, but what they did know certainly did not allude to what was happening inside of that house. And there's a lot of confusion. You know, there's also an issue here with perception about the people who live in this community.

And we're going to talk a little bit about that later because the last thing they want is to be perceived, also, as monsters.

BERMAN: People putting all the pieces together of this horrible case.

All right, Zoraida, thanks so much.

We have other news. New developments in the Boston marathon bombing investigation.

After weeks in a funeral home, the body of Boston bombing suspect Tamerlan Tsarnaev has finally been laid to rest. Police in Worcester, Massachusetts, confirm that Tsarnaev has been buried but they will not say where. The news comes as lawmakers in Washington are grilling law enforcement about the bombings.

CNN's Paula Newton has that part of the story.


PAULA NEWTON, CNN CORRESPONDENT (voice-over): For the first time, lawmakers in Washington got a crack at parsing details of the Boston bombings and at intelligence failures with Republican Chairman Michael McCall saying he feels the bombers succeeded because the system failed.

Boston Police Commissioner Edward Davis testified the FBI did not tell him Russia had warned the U.S. of Tamerlan Tsarnaev, one of the bombing suspects.

REP. MICHAEL MCCAUL (R), TEXAS: If you had this information before the bombing, would you have done -- your police force and you, would you have done anything differently?

EDWARD DAVIS, BOSTON POLICE DEPARTMENT: That's very hard to say. We would certainly look at the information. We would certainly talk to the individual. NEWTON: But in a statement released after the hearings Thursday, the FBI said Boston police officers serving on a Joint Terrorism Task Force had access to a database that detailed the investigation into Tsarnaev.

As testimony unfolded in Washington, the drama at this funeral home over, the body is gone, Tamerlan Tsarnaev has been buried in an undisclosed location.

SGT. KERRY HAZELHURST, WORCESTER POLICE: As a result of our public appeal for help, a courageous and compassionate individual came forward to provide the assistance needed to properly bury the deceased. His body is no longer in the city of Worcester and is now entombed.

NEWTON: Tsarnaev's uncle Ruslan Tsarni confirms to CNN that he took his nephew's body out of state to be buried and has not even told Tamerlan's parents where their son has been laid to rest. He also confirms that no second autopsy was ever performed.

The touchy issue about where to bury Tsarnaev unnerved many for different reasons. Those who felt he didn't deserve an American grave. Those who felt uncivilized to do anything else, but more than anything it diverted energy from victims and their families.

Paula Newtown, CNN, Boston.


BERMAN: Our thanks to Paula for that.

Twenty-one minutes after the hour.

And still ahead, for one brazen heist, no guns, no masks. Just laptops and malware. Forty-five million dollars stolen from banks in 26 countries in just a matter of hours, and why consumers might never see that cash again, next.


BERMAN: We're minding your business this morning.

Investors took some money off the table Thursday. All three major averages dropped. But will they slap that money back on the table today?

Zain Asher is here with the answer.

Hey, Zain.

ZAIN ASHER, CNN BUSINESS CORRESPONDENT: Well, it looks as though markets will be rebounding. Futures are up solidly, so we could end the week with some gains.

Also want to talk to you about cyber story we are following. It sounds like something out of a movie. When you typically think of a bank theft or a heist, you think of individuals with masks and guns.

This time, we're talking about people armed with nothing but the Internet, and software, and laptops. Eight people charged in a cyber theft ring. They stole $42 million from banks all around the world, $2.8 million from banks in New York City. The attacks were in February, and in December.

Here's how they did it: they hacked into the banking system. They increased the money on people's cards, the limit on people's cards, rather, and they transferred that information onto fake cards, and withdrew money from ATMs.

Basically any financial institution's worst nightmare. You had 4,000 separate transactions. U.S. Attorney Loretta Lynch spoke at a press conference. Here's what she had to say.


LORETTA LYNCH, U.S. ATTORNEY, EASTERN DISTRICT OF NEW YORK: The consumer really has two issues here. Number one, this is an issue of security that affects every institution. Really affects the industry as a whole, and the fact that as these attacks continue, the costs are likely to be passed onto them.


ASHER: And, of course, it's all about getting those account holders their money back. It's a process, and it could, of course, take some time.

BERMAN: A lot of the money was spent already.

ASHER: Yes. On Rolexes, luxury cars, that kind of thing.

BERMAN: Some diabolical genius at work here.

All right. What's the one thing we need to know about our money?

ASHER: OK. Next time you go in to buy the latest smartphone, bring more cash with you. CNN Money says carriers may gradually charge more for smartphones over the next two to three years. Right now, there's basically a cap at $200. But that freezes carriers' profits, forcing them to lock customers into a two-year contract.

BERMAN: So more money, yikes.

All right. Zain, thank you so much. Appreciate it.

Up next, insides mind of Ariel Castro. Brian Todd reports on the warning signs that may have been missed, and the suspect's dark past. We have new details.

You're watching EARLY START.

(COMMERCIAL BREAK) SAMBOLIN: We are live in Cleveland where the accused kidnapper and rapist Ariel Castro is behind bars and now he is talking. And who exactly is the man accused of heinous, inhumane crimes? We dig into the life, and the past, of Ariel Castro.

BERMAN: First, Jodi Arias was on suicide watch. This morning, she is waking up in the psych ward. The latest developments in this ever- increasingly bizarre case.

Welcome back to this special edition of EARLY START, everyone. I'm John Berman in New York.

SAMBOLIN: Nice to see you, John.

I'm Zoraida Sambolin live in Cleveland for you this morning.

And prosecutors say Ariel Castro operated a private prison and a torture chamber inside this house on the west side of Cleveland. This was for the past 10 years. The man who lived here, 2207 Seymour Avenue, right behind me, allegedly held three women captive inside, made his first court appearance yesterday. He was arraigned on kidnapping and rape charges and prosecutors plan to pursue an aggravated murder charge now for the alleged killing of one of his victim's fetuses.