CNN U.S. NewsAdvertisement

Michael Jackson 'stable' after collapse

Jackson December 7, 1995
Web posted at: 10:30 a.m. EST

From Correspondent Mark Scheerer

NEW YORK (CNN) -- Michael Jackson was hospitalized in stable condition Thursday, suffering from apparent dehydration and low blood pressure. The 37-year-old entertainer collapsed on stage during a rehearsal at the Beacon Theater in New York late Wednesday afternoon.

New York Emergency Medical Service received a call at 4:51 p.m. from a security guard at the theater saying Jackson was not breathing, but when they arrived minutes later he was awake and alert, according to EMS spokesman John Hanchar. Emergency workers determined that Jackson was suffering from exhaustion, dehydration and dangerously low blood pressure, Hanchar told CNN.

EMS spokeswoman Marie Lamberti said that when Jackson was first treated, his blood pressure measured 70 over 40. A healthy reading would be 120 over 80.

EMS worker "He appeared very sluggish," said emergency medical technician La-Shunn Knight. (40K AIFF sound or 40K WAV sound) She said Jackson, wearing jeans and a T-shirt, mumbled a few words she couldn't understand.

Another medical technician, Kevin Barwick, said Jackson was "semi-conscious" and was treated with oxygen and intravenous fluids before being taken to Beth Israel Hospital North.

Jackson Jackson's health has made news before. His hair caught fire when a smoke bomb misfired while he was taping a Pepsi commercial in 1984. He was hospitalized with chest pains in 1990. An August 1993 concert in Singapore was postponed because Jackson was suffering from dehydration. And in November 1993, he cut short a concert tour because of an addiction to prescription painkillers amid allegations of child molestation.

Janet Jackson's sister, recording artist Janet Jackson, appeared at the hospital shortly after her brother's arrival.

sign His admission for tests raised questions about the two weekend concerts to be taped for a cable TV special Sunday night on HBO. HBO officials say rehearsals for "Michael Jackson: One Night Only" are continuing while they await word on whether he will be able to go on.

"Michael was not going to be in rehearsals tonight," said HBO spokesman Quentin Schaffer. "It was just pyrotechnics. His private physician is flying in from Los Angeles right now and we will not know anything until (Thursday)." (195K AIFF sound or 195K WAV sound)

The special is scheduled to be taped Friday and Saturday.

Related Stories

Related Sites


Copyright © 1995 Cable News Network, Inc.
External sites are not endorsed by CNN Interactive.