'I've got some weird thoughts, now'
Excerpts from Simpson's police interrogation
December 11, 1996
Web posted at:10:45 a.m. EST
From Correspondent Charles Feldman
LOS ANGELES (CNN) -- Audiotape of O.J. Simpson's first police interrogation following the murders of his ex-wife, Nicole, and Ronald Goldman was made public Tuesday after being played for the jury in Simpson's wrongful death trial.
Giving up his right to have an attorney present, Simpson answered questions from detectives Philip Vannatter and Tom Lange at Los Angeles police headquarters on June 13, 1994, the day after the murders.
Shockwave streaming audio format
On his relationship with his former wife:
"We tried to get back together and it just didn't work."
(241K/10 sec. AIFF or WAV sound)
On spousal abuse during the marriage:
"There was "a big fight about six years ago. ... It wasn't a physical argument."
(364K/16 sec. AIFF or WAV sound)
On Simpson's activities the night of the double-murders:
After returning home from a recital by his daughter Sydney, he said he called Paula
Barbieri. But "my girlfriend," as he referred to her, "wasn't around."
(381K/35 sec. AIFF or WAV sound)
- Driving in his Bronco and "sitting with Kato (Kaelin)."
- "Rushing around" at home before a limousine driver picked him up "somewhere between"
10:45 p.m. and ll p.m. The driver was taking Simpson to the airport for a flight to
Chicago. (1.8 M/21 sec. AIFF or WAV sound)
- Vannatter tells Simpson he is a suspect because "we've got some blood at your house."
(238K/10 sec. AIFF or WAV sound)
On explaining the blood:
- Simpson says blood from a finger injury "dripped" at his house while he was
preparing for the arrival of the limousine.
(270K/21 sec. AIFF or WAV sound)
- "I recall bleeding at my house."
(271K/25 sec. AIFF or WAV sound)
- He says the finger may have been re-injured by broken glass in his Chicago hotel room. After
he learned of the killings, "I just kind of went bonkers," Simpson said.
(275K/13 sec. AIFF or WAV sound)
- Simpson suggests he be given a blood test, but isn't sure about taking a lie detector test because, "I've got some weird thoughts, now."
(227K/10 sec. AIFF or WAV sound)
© 1996 Cable News Network, Inc.
All Rights Reserved.
Terms under which this
service is provided to you.