Report: U.S. gets new info on Saudi bomb
FBI still not allowed to talk to suspects
December 6, 1996
Web posted at: 11:10 p.m. EST (0410 GMT)
RIYADH, Saudi Arabia (CNN) -- Saudi investigators have
refused to let FBI agents question suspects arrested in the
Khobar Tower bombing, but they have given the United States
an edited tape of their interrogation and provided other new
information, ABC News reported Friday.
Nineteen U.S. Air Force personnel died when a truck loaded
with explosives blew up near the complex where the U.S.
servicemen were housed in Dhahran on June 25.
FBI Director Louis Freeh has made three trips to Saudi
Arabia, the most recent last month, in an effort to gain
better access to evidence for American investigators. The
videotape falls short of what the FBI wanted.
The Saudis have told the FBI that the six suspects now in
custody are members of an Islamic fundamentalist group called
the Hezbollah Gulf, which is supported by Iran and believed
responsible for the bombing, ABC reported.
Saudi sources said the suspects, all Saudi nationals, played
only a supporting role in the bombing but would likely be
executed without the FBI getting to interrogate them, ABC
Two of the suspects worked in Saudi customs and allegedly
helped smuggle the explosives into the country, according to
the ABC report.
Saudi investigators, in their interrogations of the six
suspects, obtained details of a terrorist network supported
from the outside, ABC said. The men allegedly were recruited
by an Iranian intelligence agent while at a Shiite religious
celebration in Syria, the report said.
The suspects were trained for more than a year and a half in
Iran's holy city of Qom and at two Hezbollah training bases,
it said. One base was located in the mountains near Latakia,
Syria, and the other was in the Bekaa Valley of Lebanon,
Related sites: Note: Pages will open in a new browser window
External sites are not endorsed by CNN Interactive.
© 1996 Cable News Network, Inc.
All Rights Reserved.