Remains of 2 U.S. airmen retrieved from Chinese mountain
U.S. team reaches site of WWII crash
January 15, 1997
Web posted at: 1:00 p.m. EST (1800 GMT)
XINGAN, China (CNN) -- The remains of two World War II U.S.
airmen were in U.S. hands Wednesday, after Chinese officials
guided a Defense Department team to the site of a bomber
crash near the summit of a remote mountain in southern China.
In an informal ceremony, a senior Chinese military officer
handed the remains and a box of personal effects over to U.S.
military officer. A formal ceremony will be held Friday in
Beijing.
"No matter where we must go or how much time it takes,
America does not forget its warriors," said Alan Liotta,
deputy director of the U.S. POW/MIA (Prisoner of War/Missing
in Action) office.
The rusting debris and the remains of the crew had rested
silently for 52 years near the summit of Mao'er Mountain,
south China's tallest. Flying in darkness, the B-24 bomber
slammed into the 6,000-foot (1,800-meter) mountain while
returning from a raid against Japanese ships off Taiwan on
August 31, 1944. It was only the plane's second mission
against the Japanese.
Local farmers found the crash site last October while
searching for wild herbs on the steep, slippery slopes of the
mountain. Chinese officials in Xingan county said that 500
local residents have spent the last two months cutting a path
to carry out the remains of the 10-member crew and the
scattered debris.
Chinese President Jiang Zemin announced the discovery to U.S.
President Bill Clinton last November at the Asia-Pacific
Economic Cooperation forum in Manila. Jiang gave Clinton a
videotape and photographs of the crash site.
In December, Chinese officials delivered two dog tags from
the wreckage to Defense Secretary William Perry.
On Tuesday, Chinese officials guided a forensics team from
the U.S. POW/MIA (Prisoner of War/Missing in Action) office,
accompanied by a group of journalists, to the site in
Guangxi province. Journalists and officials alike clung to
ropes as they traversed wet rocks, slippery mud walls and
narrow ledges to reach the site.
Reporter falls 200 feet down mountain
Stephanie Ho, a Voice of America reporter from Berkeley,
California, was knocked unconscious when she slipped and fell
nearly 200 feet (75 meters) down a nearly vertical rock face.
One of the farmers who originally found the crash site
carried Ho back to the ledge, and rescuers evacuated her from
the mountain. She was listed in stable condition at a
hospital in Guilin, 50 miles south of the site.
The United States aided China against Japan during World War
II. During Wednesday's ceremony, Chinese officials expressed
gratitude for the help.
"Fifty years ago these brave young men scattered their blood
over this beautiful region," said Liang Ziwei, director of
foreign affairs in Xingan.
U.S. officials were pleased with the joint effort to retrieve
the remains.
"This demonstrates a spirit of cooperation and a longing for
future peace and renewed relationships," U.S. Maj. Mark
Keene said following the ceremony.
The remains of the crew will be flown to a government
laboratory in Hawaii for identification. U.S. officials said
they had notified the families of all 10 that the crash site
had been found.
The youngest of the B-24's crew was 19, the oldest 27. One,
Anthony DeLucia, died on his 24th birthday. His brother,
Elmer DeLucia of Bradford, Pennsylvania, said in a telephone
interview that his family for years wondered if Anthony might
have survived on an island.
When he heard the news of the crash discovery, DeLucia said
he was "shaking like a leaf. I was overjoyed to know at least
he was found and we knew what happened."
Beijing Bureau Chief Andrea Koppel and Reuters contributed to this report.
Related stories:
Related sites:
Note: Pages will open in a new browser window
External sites are not endorsed by CNN Interactive.
© 1997 Cable News Network, Inc.
All Rights Reserved.