ad info

CNN.com
 MAIN PAGE
 WORLD
   africa
   americas
   asianow
   europe
   middle east
 U.S.
 LOCAL
 POLITICS
 WEATHER
 BUSINESS
 SPORTS
 TECHNOLOGY
 NATURE
 ENTERTAINMENT
 BOOKS
 TRAVEL
 FOOD
 HEALTH
 STYLE
 IN-DEPTH

 custom news
 Headline News brief
 daily almanac
 CNN networks
 CNN programs
 on-air transcripts
 news quiz

  CNN WEB SITES:
CNN Websites
 TIME INC. SITES:
 MORE SERVICES:
 video on demand
 video archive
 audio on demand
 news email services
 free email accounts
 desktop headlines
 pointcast

 DISCUSSION:
 message boards
 chat
 feedback

 SITE GUIDES:
 help
 contents
 search

 FASTER ACCESS:
 europe
 japan

 WEB SERVICES:

 

World - Europe

Pentagon: Difficult to say we've 'prevented one act of brutality'

refugee
"They have burned down my village; it's completely destroyed. I have worked 20 years for my house -- now I have nothing."
- Ethnic Albanian refugee

related videoRELATED VIDEO
NATO video of what it says are airstrikes on Pristina, Yugoslavia; released March 30
Windows Media 28K 80K

2.1 M / 23 sec. / 240x180
QuickTime movie
Please enable Javascript

CNN's Ben Wedeman reports on day six of the airstrikes -- March 30
Windows Media 28K 80K



28 K 80 K
InteractiveIMAGE GALLERY:
Flight from Kosovo
 ALSO:
Pentagon's supply of favorite weapon may be dwindling

Key NATO members united in rejecting Milosevic overture

U.S.: Milosevic offer falls 'far short'

'Just go': Refugees describe terror in Kosovo

U.S., world mobilize to aid Kosovo refugees

Go along on a B-52 mission

 MESSAGE BOARD
Crisis in Kosovo
 NATO Map
NATO military targets towns ablaze
 

NATO: 'New heights' of ethnic cleansing in Kosovo


In this story:

'Small groups of vicious, armed people'

NATO: Offensive operations 'round the clock

RELATED STORIES, SITES icon



March 30, 1999
Web posted at: 5:48 p.m. EST (2248 GMT)

BRUSSELS, Belgium (CNN) -- NATO said Tuesday that a Serb-led ethnic cleansing campaign in Kosovo has reached "new heights," forcing 118,000 ethnic Albanians to flee their homes within the past week.

NATO spokesman Jamie Shea, addressing a news conference at the alliance's headquarters, said the town of Pec -- Kosovo's second largest city, with a former population of 100,000 -- had been "almost totally destroyed."

NATO's military spokesman, Royal Air Force Air Commodore David Wilby, said the ethnic cleansing campaign had clearly reached "new heights."

Yugoslav officials say the ethnic Albanian refugees leaving Kosovo have been driven from their homes by fighting between Albanian separatists of the Kosovo Liberation Army and Serb forces, not by any offensive against civilians. But Shea said all reports reaching NATO indicated that what was happening in Kosovo was a well-organized "master plan" by Belgrade.

He said the reported pattern of violence was that Serb tanks were surrounding villages, then "paramilitaries are going in, rounding up civilians at gunpoint, separating young men from women and children."

"The women and children are then expelled from their homes and then sent toward the border. After they have left the villages, the homes are looted and then systematically torched," Shea said.

He added that if those reports were confirmed, "This is something that we haven't seen since the forced evacuation of Phnom Penh in Cambodia by the Khmer Rouge during the 1970s."

'Small groups of vicious, armed people'

It will take time for NATO to exert enough pressure to stop the reported repression, Pentagon spokesman Ken Bacon said Tuesday.

"I think right now it is -- it is difficult to say that we have prevented one act of brutality at this stage," said Bacon.

"This being done very up-close and personal by the Yugoslav army and special police forces in small groups of armed, vicious people going out and shooting people at close range, frequently burning them, shelling their houses," he said.

Bacon said the goal of Operation Allied Force was aimed at damaging the Yugoslav forces carrying out the "repressive activities."

"The principal impact we've had so far is to reduce their ability to sustain themselves, to reduce their supplies ... we are now beginning to focus more on the troops on the ground. That began last night with sustained attacks on their staging areas," Bacon said.

And Bacon said it would likely take more time before the effect of the operation is seen.

"There has not been a knockout punch. We knew a knockout punch would not come quickly," Bacon said. "We're now in the seventh day. I think it will take much longer."

explosion
NATO presents video Tuesday to demonstrate the accuracy of its bombing of Yugoslav police barracks   

NATO: Offensive operations round-the-clock

Wilby said that NATO's "offensive operations" against Serb military targets in Yugoslavia were continuing around the clock and that the Yugoslav military's capabilities to crack down on ethnic Albanians would be degraded by the airstrikes.

He said that NATO attacks on Monday were concentrated on seven target regions in northern Serbia and four in Kosovo.

Bacon also pointed out that troops were on the main target list.

"We are now beginning to focus more precisely on the troops on the ground in Kosovo and the troops stationed just outside of Kosovo," said Bacon.

"That began in earnest last night with attacks on staging areas and other places where troops gather or pool together their equipment to be serviced, to be refueled, et cetera," Bacon announced during Tuesday's briefing.

While NATO insists that its military campaign is successful in that respect, Shea admitted that there now was a "humanitarian disaster of enormous proportions."

"NATO's immediate concern is to mobilize all our efforts to address the plight of the refugees," Shea said, adding that emergency supplies such as field hospitals, tents, blankets and food were being sent to the crisis region by air and ship.

NATO Secretary-General Javier Solana said Monday that the alliance was closely coordinating efforts with the U.N. refugee agency and the European Union.

EU humanitarian affairs commissioner Emma Bonino was to travel to the refugee region this week to assess the immediate needs.



RELATED STORIES:
NATO targets Yugoslav army, Serb police as Kosovo refugees flee
March 29, 1999
Pentagon: NATO making progress, but campaign will take time
March 29, 1999
Kosovo fighting triggers refugee crisis in Albania
March 29, 1999
Russia sends Primakov, others to Yugoslavia
March 29, 1999
U.S.: Milosevic alone has power to stop airstrikes
March 29, 1999

RELATED SITES:
Yugoslavia:
  • Federal Republic of Yugoslavia official site
      • Kesovo and Metohija facts
  • Serbia Ministry of Information
  • Serbia Now! News


Kosovo:
  • Kosova Crisis Center
  • Kosovo - from Albanian.com

Military:
  • NATO official site
  • BosniaLINK - U.S. Dept. of Defense
  • U.S. Navy images from Operation Allied Force
  • U.K. Ministry of Defence - Kosovo news
  • U.K. Royal Air Force - Kosovo news
  • Jane's Defence - Kosovo Crisis

Relief:
  • International Federation of Red Cross and Red Crescent Societies
  • International Committee of the Red Cross
  • Kosovo Humanitarian Disaster Forces Hundreds of Thousands from their Homes
  • Catholic Relief Services
  • Kosovo Relief
  • ReliefWeb: Home page


Media:
  • Independent Yugoslav radio stations B92
  • Institute for War and Peace Reporting
  • United States Information Agency - Kosovo Crisis

Other:
  • 1997 view of Kosovo from space - Eurimage
Note: Pages will open in a new browser window
External sites are not endorsed by CNN Interactive.

 LATEST HEADLINES:
SEARCH CNN.com
Enter keyword(s)   go    help

Back to the top   © 2001 Cable News Network. All Rights Reserved.
Terms under which this service is provided to you.
Read our privacy guidelines.