ad info




CNN.com
 MAIN PAGE
 WORLD
   africa
   americas
   asianow
   europe
   middle east
 U.S.
 LOCAL
 POLITICS
 WEATHER
 BUSINESS
 SPORTS
 TECHNOLOGY
 NATURE
 ENTERTAINMENT
 BOOKS
 TRAVEL
 FOOD
 HEALTH
 STYLE
 IN-DEPTH

 custom news
 Headline News brief
 daily almanac
 CNN networks
 CNN programs
 on-air transcripts
 news quiz

  CNN WEB SITES:
CNN Websites
 TIME INC. SITES:
 MORE SERVICES:
 video on demand
 video archive
 audio on demand
 news email services
 free email accounts
 desktop headlines
 pointcast

 DISCUSSION:
 message boards
 chat
 feedback

 SITE GUIDES:
 help
 contents
 search

 FASTER ACCESS:
 europe
 japan

 WEB SERVICES:

 

World - Europe

Yugoslavs balk at signing Kosovo withdrawal agreement

NATO used B-52 bombers Saturday night into Sunday to strike areas in Kosovo near its border with Albania

related videoRELATED VIDEO
CNN's Tom Mintier reports that the Yugoslavs still are reluctant to sign the peace agreement (June 6)
Windows Media 28K 80K

CNN's Chris Black reports from the White House on how the Clinton administration convinced Russia to join the G-8 peace effort (June 5).
Real 28K 80K
Windows Media 28K 80K

CNN's Martin Savidge reports on the latest group of Kosovo refugees to reach Albania (June 5)
Real 28K 80K
Windows Media 28K 80K

       Windows Media Real

       28 K 80 K
InteractiveIMAGE GALLERY
The many faces of refugee relief

NATO off target
 ALSO:
Fort Dix speeds up relocation of Kosovo refugees

NATO's seeming victory by air power alone would be an unexpected first

Poll: Americans back agreement, doubt Serb compliance

 THE DELUGE OF REFUGEES:
Where are they going?
 MESSAGE BOARD:
Crisis in Kosovo
 IN-DEPTH SPECIAL:
Strike on Yugoslavia
 

June 6, 1999
Web posted at: 8:19 p.m. EDT (0019 GMT)


In this story:

Indications of little progress

NATO air pressure continues

KLA must disarm

Peacekeeping force Europe-led

Finnish leader to brief Chinese

RELATED STORIES, SITES icon



KUMANOV0, Macedonia (CNN) -- Despite two days of intense discussions, Yugoslav military officials were still reluctant Sunday night to sign an agreement outlining terms for a withdrawal of their forces from Kosovo -- prompting NATO to accuse them of stalling.

Talks between the Yugoslavs and NATO had lasted into the night as NATO warned the Yugoslavs to accept its terms or face continued airstrikes.

"There is very little chance" that the talks, which began Saturday, would be allowed to continue into Monday, said NATO spokesman Maj. Trey Cate.

For more than 15 hours Sunday, the two sides met inside a tent at an airfield at Kumanovo, Macedonia. They then took a break in the evening so the Yugoslavs could consult with officials in Belgrade. That break was then extended.

NATO leaders insist that the Yugoslavs sign the six-page document, which outlines the procedures for withdrawing forces from Kosovo. NATO is adamant that there will be no negotiations with the Yugoslavs and that the withdrawal from the Serbian province will take place on NATO's terms.

However, earlier Sunday, NATO spokesman Jamie Shea cautioned against the assumption that NATO's conditions would be agreed to quickly by the Yugoslavs.

"There are a number of very technical, very complex issues to be discussed, and these talks in Kumanovo could take some time to conclude," he said.

Indications of little progress

Indications from Kumanovo were that very little progress had been made. Sources reported that Yugoslav military leaders had agreed to only six of the 20 provisions in the document.

The Yugoslav generals asked for more time than the allotted week to move their forces from the province. They also sought protection from attacks by the ethnic Albanian Kosovo Liberation Army, which has been fighting for an independent homeland for Kosovo's ethnic Albanian majority.

U.S. officials indicated Sunday they will resist any delay, which they say could open up opportunities for snipers, terrorists and looters and the laying of booby traps.

U.S. Defense Secretary William Cohen said he was concerned about any "slow rolling" of the withdrawal process.

"We're not going to allow any kind of deliberate policy of delaying day by day, whatever the time frame is," he said on ABC's "This Week" program.

Yugoslav officials are also asking NATO to guarantee the safety of ethnic Serbs still living in Kosovo, fearing bloody reprisals when ethnic Albanian refugees forced from the province return home.

NATO air pressure continues

Keeping up the pressure on the Yugoslavs, NATO flew more than 400 sorties from Saturday night into Sunday, according to alliance spokesman Maj. Gen. Walter Jertz. Munitions facilities in Vrsac and Pristina, was well as tanks, artillery and armor on the ground, were among the targets.

Serb media reported that NATO bombs hit Prizren, Kosovo Polje and Djakovica.

There was also military activity along the border between Albania and Kosovo. NATO used B-52 bombers to strike an area near Gorshub in Yugoslavia, just inside the border. The mountain plateau was also the scene of a daylong artillery and mortar battle between Yugoslav forces and the KLA.

KLA must disarm

tent
Yugoslav officials and NATO leaders negotiated inside a tent at a Kumanovo, Macedonia, airfield  

Yugoslavia has accepted a framework for a Kosovo settlement that calls for the withdrawal of forces from the disputed province and the introduction of a NATO-led international peacekeeping force.

Those troops will oversee the return of ethnic Albanian refugees and a demilitarization of the province, including disarming of the KLA.

Despite the agreement, NATO leaders have vowed to press ahead with their air assault until they see concrete evidence that the Yugoslavs are complying. Even then, Shea said Sunday that the airstrikes would only be suspended, not stopped.

"The sword of Damocles is a good technique for concentrating President (Slobodan) Milosevic's mind, and that's why we'll keep that sword in place," he said.

Cohen said Sunday he is not concerned that the KLA will refuse to demilitarize.

"Everything we've seen to date would tend to indicate they would indeed be on board, because the objective of getting all the Serb forces out will be achieved, assuming this agreement in fact is concluded," he said on CNN's "Late Edition."

Peacekeeping force Europe-led

In an interview on "Fox News Sunday," NATO Secretary-General Javier Solana said the majority of the 50,000-troop peacekeeping force for Kosovo would consist of European troops under the command of a British general.

British and German troops arrived in Macedonia Sunday to prepare for a possible deployment; the first American troops were scheduled to arrive Monday.

On Monday in Bonn, foreign ministers from the Group of Eight countries -- Russia, Japan and six leading NATO powers, including the United States -- will meet to finalize the text of a U.N. Security Council resolution outlining the peace agreement.

U.S. Secretary of State Madeleine Albright is to join the G-8 meeting and, while in Bonn, will meet with Russian Foreign Minister Igor Ivanov to try to reach an agreement for Russian participation in the Kosovo peacekeeping force.

Russian officials have ruled out putting their troops under NATO command in Kosovo -- something Cohen indicated would be unacceptable. And he said there was "no guarantee" that the Russians would be involved.

"The Russians can participate much as they are participating in (peacekeeping in) Bosnia. But there cannot be separate command structures," he said.

Finnish leader to brief Chinese

Finnish President Martti Ahtisaari, who helped broker the peace framework between NATO and the Yugoslavs, said he plans to travel to China to persuade the Chinese government to support the resolution in the Security Council.

China, which holds a veto as one of the council's five permanent members, has been strongly critical of NATO's campaign in Yugoslavia, particularly after its embassy in Belgrade was bombed.

"My prime aim is to go to see the permanent member who has not been briefed properly. I think I owe it to the Chinese that I explain what has happened in these talks that I have attended," Ahtisaari said on "This Week."

Correspondents Tom Mintier, Martin Savidge and Carol Black contributed to this report.

RELATED STORIES:
NATO, Yugoslav generals take a break; no resolution in sight
June 6, 1999
NATO, Yugoslavs to discuss terms for troop withdrawal Sunday
June 5, 1999
NATO: Bombing of Yugoslavia could end by Sunday
June 4, 1999
Kosovo rebels wary of peace agreement
June 4, 1999
NATO hopes peace deal deflates Milosevic's power
June 4, 1999
Chernomyrdin's peace efforts criticized by some Russians
June 3, 1999
Yugoslavia accepts peace deal on Kosovo
June 3, 1999

RELATED SITES:
Yugoslavia:
  • Federal Republic of Yugoslavia official site
      • Kesovo and Metohija facts
  • Serbia Ministry of Information
  • Serbia Now! News

Kosovo:
  • Kosova Crisis Center
  • Kosovo - from Albanian.com

Military:
  • NATO official site
  • BosniaLINK - U.S. Dept. of Defense
  • U.S. Navy images from Operation Allied Force
  • U.K. Ministry of Defence - Kosovo news
  • U.K. Royal Air Force - Kosovo news
  • Jane's Defence - Kosovo Crisis


Resettlement Agencies Helping Kosovars in U.S.:
  • Church World Service
  • Episcopal Migration Ministries
  • Hebrew Immigrant Aid Society
  • Iowa Department of Human Services
  • International Rescue Committee
  • Immigration and Refugee Services of America
  • Lutheran Immigration and Refugee Service
  • United States Catholic Conference

Relief:
  • World Relief
  • Doctors without borders
  • U.S. Agency for International Development (Kosovo aid)
  • Doctors of the World
  • InterAction
  • International Federation of Red Cross and Red Crescent Societies
  • International Committee of the Red Cross
  • Kosovo Humanitarian Disaster Forces Hundreds of Thousands from their Homes
  • Catholic Relief Services
  • Kosovo Relief
  • ReliefWeb: Home page
  • The Jewish Agency for Israel
  • Mercy International
  • UNHCR


Media:
  • Radio Free Europe / Radio Liberty
  • Independent Yugoslav radio stations B92
  • Institute for War and Peace Reporting
  • United States Information Agency - Kosovo Crisis

Other:
  • Expanded list of related sites on Kosovo
  • 1997 view of Kosovo from space - Eurimage>
Note: Pages will open in a new browser window
External sites are not endorsed by CNN Interactive.

 LATEST HEADLINES:
SEARCH CNN.com
Enter keyword(s)   go    help

Back to the top   © 2001 Cable News Network. All Rights Reserved.
Terms under which this service is provided to you.
Read our privacy guidelines.