| CNN WEB SITES:
Today's Events | On Horizon | On This Day | Newslink | Notable | Almanac archive
Tuesday, September 22, 1998
We were dazzled by her speed, humbled by her talent, and captivated by her style.
U.S. President Bill Clinton on the death of Florence Griffith Joyner
- U.S. President Bill Clinton meets with Japanese Prime Minister Keizo Obuchi at the Rockefeller family estate in Tarrytown, New York.
- On Wednesday, September 23, NASA sponsors the Challenge Mission, an eight-day deployment of the Carpenter Space Analog Station on the sea floor off Key Largo, Florida.
- On Thursday, September 24, U.S. Attorney General Janet Reno hosts a national "Summit on School Violence and Kids" in Salt Lake City, Utah.
- On Friday, September 25, U.S. President Bill Clinton attends a political fund-raiser in Chicago and then travels to California.
- On Saturday, September 26, Cindy Crawford, Aretha Franklin, David Crosby, Graham Nash and Michael Bolton are to participate in the National Cancer March in Washington, D.C.
- On Sunday, September 27, national elections are held in Germany.
Is your life like a roller coaster ride? Click
- Actor Scott Baio ("Happy Days") is 37.
- Model Shari Belafonte-Harper is 44.
- Singer Debbie Boone ("You Light Up My Life") is 42.
- Singer Joan Jett ("I Love Rock 'n' Roll") is 38.
- Los Angeles Dodger icon Tommy Lasorda is 71.
- Actor Paul Le Mat ("Melvin and Howard") is 53.
- Actress Catherine Oxenberg ("Dynasty") is 37.
- Actor Eugene Roche ("Soap") is 70.
- In 1776, Nathan Hale was hanged as a spy by the British during the Revolutionary War.
- In 1789, the U.S. Congress authorized the office of Postmaster-General.
- In 1792, the French Republic was proclaimed.
- In 1862, U.S. President Abraham Lincoln issued the preliminary Emancipation Proclamation, declaring all slaves in rebel states free as of January 1, 1863.
- In 1949, the Soviet Union exploded its first atomic bomb.
- In 1964, the musical "Fiddler on the Roof" opened on Broadway, beginning a run of 3,242 performances.
- In 1975, Sara Jane Moore attempted to shoot U.S. President Gerald Ford outside a San Francisco hotel, but missed.
- In 1980, the Persian Gulf conflict between Iran and Iraq erupted into full-scale war.
Back to the top
© 2000 Cable News Network. All Rights Reserved.
Terms under which this service is provided to you.
Read our privacy guidelines.