| CNN WEB SITES:
Today's Events | On Horizon | On This Day | Newslink | Notable | Almanac archive
Thursday, October 22, 1998
Do I know what's in the bill? Are you kidding? Only God knows! If the voters really understood what we were up to they'd vote us out of office.
U.S. Sen. Robert Byrd, D-W.Va., discussing the new $520 billion spending package
- A House Judiciary subcommittee is scheduled to hold a hearing on the history and background of presidential impeachment.
- A hearing is scheduled in London on lawsuit filed by Trevor Rees-Jones, sole survivor of the crash that killed Princess Diana. He's trying to recover lawyer fees from his former employer, Mohamed Al Fayed.
- National Sleep Foundation releases results of "first-ever" national survey of women's sleep patterns.
- Country Music Association reunion to be held in Nashville, Tennessee, featuring all artists who have won a CMA award and the members of the Country Music Hall of Fame. Event marks the CMA's 40th anniversary.
- On Friday, October 23, Thailand observes Chulalongkorn Day, the annual commemoration of the death of King Chulalongkorn the Great, who died October 23, 1910, after a 42-year reign.
- On Saturday, October 24, Independent Counsel Ken Starr attends a symposium at University of Minnesota commemorating the 25th anniversary of the Supreme Court decision on United States vs. Nixon.
- On Sunday, October 25, the launch of NASA's Deep Space 1 aboard Boeing Delta 7326 rocket is rescheduled for today. It is the first flight in NASA's New Millennium Program at Cape Canaveral.
- On Monday, October 26, groundbreaking for the Oklahoma City bombing memorial is to be concluded today.
- On Tuesday, October 27, Germany's newly elected chancellor Gerhard Schroeder will be officially sworn in.
Need direction in your life? Click here
- Olympic figure skating champ Brian Boitano is 35.
- U.S. Sen. John Chafee of Rhode Island is 76.
- Actress Catherine Deneuve is 55.
- Actor Michael Fishman is 18.
- Actress Annette Funicello is 56.
- Actor Jeff Goldblum is 46.
- Actress Valeria Golino is 32.
- Rock musician Zachary Hanson is 13.
- Actor Christopher Lloyd is 60.
- Actor Tony Roberts is 59.
- In 1746, Princeton University in New Jersey received its charter.
- In 1797, French balloonist Andre-Jacques Garnerin made the first parachute descent, landing safely from a height of about 3,000 feet.
- In 1836, Sam Houston was inaugurated as the first constitutionally elected president of the Republic of Texas.
- In 1954, West Germany joined the North Atlantic Treaty Organization.
- In 1979, the U.S. government allowed the deposed Shah of Iran to travel to New York for medical treatment -- a decision that precipitated the Iran hostage crisis.
- In 1997, for the first time, U.S. inspectors discovered E. coli bacteria in imported Canadian beef, halting shipments of 34,000 pounds.
Back to the top
© 2000 Cable News Network. All Rights Reserved.
Terms under which this service is provided to you.
Read our privacy guidelines.