Police name London bomb suspects
Thursday's bombs show 'clear similarities' to one found Sunday
YOUR E-MAIL ALERTS
LONDON, England (CNN) -- Police have identified two of the four suspects they believe were behind last week's failed bomb attacks on the London transit system.
Peter Clarke, head of the Britain's anti-terror branch, said police were looking for Yasin Hassan Omar, 24, and Muktar Said Ibrahim or Muktar Mohammed Said, 27.
Police believe Ibrahim placed a bomb on a No. 26 bus in Hackney, east London, last Thursday, Clarke said.
He said police were searching a north London address they believed was associated with Ibrahim on Monday.
Clarke said Omar attempted to detonate a bomb on a Victoria Line Underground train between Oxford Circus and Warren Street stations.
He was seen leaving Warren Street at 12:40 p.m. (1140 GMT), vaulting over the ticket barrier and running towards the exit.
Police have urged Londoners to help locate the four men suspected of carrying out the attacks, whose images were captured Thursday on closed circuit television cameras near the bombing sites.
Ibrahim and Omar and a third suspect are believed to have entered Stockwell Underground station in south London just before 12:25 p.m. last Thursday, Clarke said.
The third man is suspected of attempting to set off a bomb on the Northern Line between Stockwell and Oval stations before being chased from Oval by passengers. He was last seen running toward Brixton, south London.
A fourth suspect entered Westbourne Park station in west London just after 12:20 p.m. He then tried to set off a bomb on an Underground train traveling towards Shepherd's Bush before climbing through a window at the back of the train and escaping along the track into back gardens.
Clarke said forensic examinations of the four partially detonated devices revealed "clear similarities" with another bomb found by a member of the public in Little Wormwood Scrubs park in west London on Sunday.
All five were packed in the same type of plastic food container inside dark colored rucksacks.
Clarke said the 6.25-liter "Delta 6250" containers all had white lids and had been made in India and exported to Britain.
He asked that any shopkeepers or employees who remembered selling "five or more of these food containers in recent months, perhaps to the same customer," contact police.
Police said Monday they had made two further arrests in north London in connection with the inquiry, bringing the total in custody to five.
A man was arrested Saturday night in Tulse Hill, south London -- three kilometers (two miles) south of Stockwell, where two other men were arrested Friday, Scotland Yard said.
Police also issued warrants to keep the two other men in custody until Wednesday, the statement said.
Metropolitan Police Commissioner Ian Blair said Sunday he believed terrorists linked to al Qaeda were involved with both the July 21 attempted bombings and the July 7 attacks, which killed 52 people and the four bombers.
"The way in which al Qaeda operates is not a sort of classic cell structure," Blair told Sky television.
"It has facilitators, so we're looking for the bomb makers, we're looking for the chemists, we're looking for the financiers, we're looking for the people who groomed these young people, so it will be a wide network that we're trying to penetrate."
Blair said police had no proof that the attacks were linked but added, "clearly there is a pattern here."
Meanwhile, the family of Jean Charles de Menezes, the 27-year-old Brazilian man shot dead by armed police officers at a London subway station, say they are considering legal action.
The Independent Police Complaints Commission said Monday that de Menezes was shot eight times. (Full story)
Also Monday, Aldgate station, one of three Underground stations affected by the July 7 attacks, re-opened.
Howard Collins, service director of Transport for London, said engineers had been working around the clock to get the station working again.
"It is a very solemn occasion," Collins said. "I traveled down in one of the first trains with the driver and I think we were quite thoughtful as we passed through, but also defiant and determined."
Collins said he hoped to announce within 48 hours when Edgware Road station would re-open. But he said it would take longer to restore service along the deep-lying Piccadilly Line between King's Cross and Russell Square stations.
|© 2007 Cable News Network LP, LLLP.
A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved.
Terms under which this service is provided to you.
Read our privacy guidelines. Contact us. Site Map.