Skip to main content

Man's lung ailment caused by fragment of fast food spoon

  • Story Highlights
  • North Carolina resident had two years of coughing, vomiting, pain
  • Doctor peered in with an endoscope and spotted bit of spoon
  • Man assumes fragment was in something he ate or drank
Decrease font Decrease font
Enlarge font Enlarge font

(CNN) -- "I know I didn't chow down on a spoon!" declared John Manley, who recently discovered that an eating utensil was the source of his two years of ill health, coughing, vomiting and pain.

The Wilmington, North Carolina, resident had surgery last week to remove part of a plastic spoon from his lung. And it wasn't just any old plastic spoon; it came from the fast-food chain Wendy's, with the restaurant logo clearly visible on the handle.

"It must have been in the food or drink," Manley told CNN affiliate WECT.

His doctor found the spoon after looking into his lungs with an endoscope, a medical instrument with a long, thin tube containing a light and a video camera.

"He explained that there was an object down there, and it had writing on it," Manley said. "It spelled out 'Wendy's' on one side and 'hamburgers' on the other, and I was a little floored."

So were his relatives, who, when they were telephoned with the news, were eating ... Wendy's.

All About Wendy's International Inc.

  • E-mail
  • Save
  • Print