German MP says he was possible target of neo-Nazi terror plot

A police car stands in front of the burnt-out remains of the apartment that was once the residence of Uwe Mundlos, Uwe Boehnhardt and Beate Zschaepe on November 13, 2011 in Zwickau, Germany.

Story highlights

  • German Parliament member Jerzy Montag says authorities told him of a hit list
  • "It is frightening to know that I could have become a target of right-wing terrorists," he says
  • Two people have been arrested in connection with a group linked to at least 10 killings
German Parliament member Jerzy Montag said Wednesday that authorities told him he could have been a target of a neo-Nazi terror cell that was planning assassinations.
The Green Party lawmaker told CNN that police notified him on Monday of "a list, which included information on me and other politicians."
It was found "in the remains of the exploded terrorist's flat in (the eastern German town of) Zwickau," Montag said.
"It is frightening to know that I could have become a target of right-wing terrorists," he added.
German police could not be immediately reached to comment on the alleged hit list.
Earlier, prosecutors said two suspects had been arrested, who were believed to be members of a group responsible for at least 10 killings, mostly of Turkish and Greek origin.
In a video which they apparently planned to send to German media outlets, the alleged terrorists claim to have killed eight ethnic Turks, one ethnic Greek and a police officer from 2000 to 2007, prosecutors said.
The attacks occurred all over Germany and became known as the Doener Murder Series. Until the arrests, police had not thought they were committed by the same people.
The German magazine Der Spiegel reported that the right-wing extremists also claim in the video to be responsible for several bank robberies and a nail-bomb attack in Cologne in 2004, which hit a street with mostly Turkish and Kurdish residents.
Two of the alleged terrorists, identified as Uwe B. and Uwe M., were found dead in a burning motor home on November 4, the prosecutor general's office said.
Their flatmate Beate Z. set off a bomb in Zwickau and then fled, prosecutors said.
Four days later she turned herself in to local police, they said.
Investigators have found the weapons that were used in the attacks, the prosecutor general's office said.