Andy Murray battled the No.6 seed, Tomas Berdych and the wind to secure victory in the semifinal at Flushing Meadows

Story highlights

The No.3 seed beats Czech Republic's Tomas Berdych in four sets

Olympic champion Murray through to his second U.S. Open final

Scot will play either Novak Djokovic or Spain's David Ferrer in the final

CNN  — 

Scotland’s Andy Murray is through to his second U.S. Open final after beating Tomas Berdych of the Czech Republic in four sets at a windswept Arthur Ashe Stadium on Saturday.

The No.3 seed rallied after losing the opening set to eventually overrun the Czech 5-7 6-2 6-1 7-6 (8-6) in three hours 58 minutes.

Both players struggled with the windy conditions on court which delayed and disrupted points throughout the match.

“It’s hard to describe. You have to focus for every single point and you had to get yourself in the right position for every single shot …” Murray said after the match.

“It’s the hardest conditions I’ve ever played in for sure. And I come from Scotland, so that’s saying something,” he added.

Murray was the first to seize the initiative, breaking Berdych in the third game of the match. But the Czech broke back immediately to level the score at two games all as the wind intervened for the first time in the match.

Serving at 30-40 down, Murray looked to have won the point, executing a delicate drop shot to leave Berdych scrambling in vain towards the net. But the Scot’s cap blew off before the ball was dead and the Czech requested they replay the point.

After a brief but lively discussion, Murray agreed. But the Scot was clearly unsettled.

The point proved a precursor to some erratic form which initially saw Murray surrender the game with a wayward lob, and eventually the set as Berdych broke for a second time in the 12th game.

Murray regrouped quickly, breaking Berdych in the first game of the second set which he went on to dominate.

The wind played havoc with both player’s games throughout and visibly intervened again as Murray served for the second set, blowing chairs and his kit bag onto court.

Storm threat delays women’s final

But this time, the Scot was unruffled by the delay and leveled the match without alarm.

Murray broke again at the start of the third set in which he assumed full control of the match running Berdych ragged at times.

Some powerful hitting by Berdych in the fourth set ensured Murray didn’t coast home.

The Czech took the set to a tiebreak and led it 5-2 at one point, but Murray clawed his way back to parity and then manufactured two match points.

The first went begging, but he took the second as Berdych swept a forehand long to hand Murray a fifth Grand Slam final appearance and his second at Flushing Meadows.

The Scot will have to overcome either Serbia’s Novak Djokovic or David Ferrer of Spain in the final to claim his first Grand Slam title.

Ferrer was leading Djokovic 5-2 in the first set of their semifinal when officials suspended play for the day because of the threat of severe weather.

The match is scheduled to resume at 11a.m. ET on Sunday.

Saturday’s disruption also means the final will now be played on a Monday for a fifth year in succession.