Ba brace rescues point for Newcastle against Everton

    Demba Ba celebrates scoring his second equalizer against Everton at Goodison Park on Monday

    Story highlights

    • Senegal striker scores two second half equalizers to deny Everton third Premier League win of season
    • Leighton Baines put David Moyes' team ahead in first half before Ba equalized after break
    • Victor Anichebe's goal in 88th minute looked to have sealed victory before Ba scored second in 90th minute
    A 90th-minute equalizer by Senegal striker Demba Ba earned Newcastle United a point in an entertaining 2-2 draw against Everton at Goodison Park on Monday.
    Ba, who came off the bench at half time, scored both Newcastle goals as Everton took the lead twice in the match only to see Alan Pardew's cancel out the advantage.
    Leighton Baines put the Toffees ahead in the 15th minute latching onto Steven Pienaar's flick before sliding a shot past Newcastle keeper, Steve Harper.
    It was a lead they carried into the break, but Ba made an immediate impact in the second half, slotting home an equalizer in the 49th minute.
    Everton were unlucky not to be back in front a short time later when Marouane Fellaini's goal was disallowed for offside -- TV replays suggested he was level when Pienaar threaded the ball through to him.
    And a 79th-minute header by Victor Anichebe (who came on for an injured Nikica Jelavic) looked to have crossed the line after Harper had tipped the effort onto the bar.
    Everton's and Anichebe's persistence were rewarded two minutes from the end when the Nigerian forward turned neatly in the penalty area before firing home.
    But celebrations were cut short as Ba bundled home his second goal of the night 90 seconds later.
    The result moves David Moyes' team up to seventh, while Newcastle rise to 11th.
    Before the game, both sets of fans paid their respects to the victims of Hillsborough stadium tragedy which claimed the lives of 96 Liverpool fans in 1989.
    An independent report published on September 12 heavily criticized police and emergency services for their handling of the disaster.
    The names of the victims who died were also displayed on the screens at the ground.