Soldier arrested in Fort Knox shooting

A Department of the Army civilian employee died after a shooting Wednesday outside the U.S. Army Human Resources Command headquarters at Fort Knox.

Story highlights

  • Soldier Marquinta E. Jacobs arrested in Tennessee, charged with murder
  • Victim, not identified, was shot several times with .45 caliber weapon
  • Wednesday shooting prompted officials to temporarily lock down the Army post
  • The incident is "not a random act of violence," an official says
A soldier has been detained and charged with murder in Wednesday's shooting death of a civilian employee at Fort Knox, Kentucky, according to a court document and the U.S. Army Criminal Investigation Command.
The soldier, identified in an FBI criminal complaint as Marquinta E. Jacobs, was assigned to the 3rd Brigade Combat Team, 1st Infantry Division. He was captured in Tennessee, where his mother lives.
The civilian, who has not been publicly named, was shot several times with a .45-caliber handgun in a parking lot at Fort Knox about 5:40 p.m. Wednesday. He was pronounced dead about an hour later.
The victim was shot near Jacobs' pickup truck, and Jacobs fled the scene in the truck, according to the complaint filed by FBI Special Agent Mark A. Coleman.
According to Coleman's complaint, Jacobs' wife said Jacobs owns a .45-caliber handgun. She allowed investigators to search the home; they found boxes of ammunition believed to be the same type as that used in the shooting.
Jacobs' wife said her husband had come home, left the truck and departed again on a motorcycle. Investigators found the motorcycle early Thursday morning at the home of his mother in Portland, Tennessee, the complaint says. Jacobs was believed to have left his mother's place in a Kia Rondo.
He was later apprehended by Portland police and Army Criminal Investigation Command agents, the command said in a press release Thursday afternoon.
The shooting occurred outside Fort Knox's Human Resources Command building, prompting officials to lock down the army post for an hour.
Chris Grey, a spokesman for the CID, said agents were investigating the incident as "a domestic issue and not a random act of violence."
Authorities are withholding the name of the victim pending notification of his family.