ctw.kamal.kaur.kenyan.shooting.eyewitness_00014811.jpg
Eyewitness describes Kenyan mall tragedy
04:33 - Source: CNN

Are you in Nairobi? Send us your images and experiences, but please stay safe.

Story highlights

NEW: Kenyan minister: "From the information that we have," 2-3 of the attackers are American

Gunmen, including snipers, remain inside the mall, two senior officials say

On Twitter, Kenyan officials say they're in control of the situation

Kenya Red Cross: 65 people are unaccounted for after the attack

Nairobi, Kenya CNN  — 

Several gunmen remain inside a besieged mall in Nairobi, Kenya, two senior officials said, as a deadly standoff between Kenyan forces and terrorists stretches into a fourth day.

Kenya’s Interior Ministry tweeted late Monday that authorities were in control of the Westgate Shopping Mall – the latest in a series of social media posts from officials reassuring a nervous public that there was little chance of escape for any surviving Al-Shabaab gunmen who had terrorized the mall, killing at least 62 people.

“Taken control of all the floors. We’re not here to feed the attackers with pastries but to finish and punish them,” Kenyan police Inspector General David Kimaiyo said on Twitter.

But even as police stressed on Twitter that they were in charge of the situation, two senior Kenyan officials told CNN that gunmen – including snipers – were still inside the four-story mall.

It wasn’t clear whether any hostages remained. The Kenya Red Cross said 65 people were missing after the attack.

Gunfire echoed from the mall sporadically during the day, sending journalists and aid workers scrambling for cover. Thick heavy smoke – from a fire set by terrorists, according to Kenyan authorities – billowed into the air much of the afternoon.

Kenya assault raises new fears about Somali recruitment

Three terrorists have been confirmed killed since Saturday, the Interior Ministry said Monday. Eleven Kenyan soldiers have been wounded, according to the Kenya Defence Forces. More than 200 civilians have been rescued, the military said.

Away from the mall, Kenyan authorities said they had arrested more than 10 people for questioning in connection with the attack, including at least four taken into custody at an airport.

Authorities urged law enforcement officers to closely scrutinize travelers’ documents, and the country’s Immigration Department said in a tweet that it had increased security at entry and exit points.

Surviving the Nairobi mall massacre: ‘Just lucky’

Americans involved?

Kenyan Foreign Minister Amina Mohamed told “PBS NewsHour” that some of the attackers had come from the United States. She said they were originally from Minnesota and Missouri, PBS reported Monday.

“As you know, both the victims and the perpetrators came from Kenya, the United Kingdom and the United States,” she said. “From the information that we have, two or three Americans, and I think so far I’ve heard of one Brit” as being among the attackers.

“The Americans, from the information we have, are young men, about between maybe 18 and 19, of Somalia origin or Arab origin,” Mohamed told PBS. She offered no other specifics.

Her comments seemed to expound on those of Gen. Julius Karangi, chief of Defense Forces.

“We have an idea who these people are and they are clearly a multinational collection fr