UK Phone Hacking Scandal Fast Facts

Anger over the hacking of Milly Dowler's phone led Rupert Murdoch to close 168-year-old News of the World in July 2011.

(CNN)Here's a look at the phone hacking scandal in the United Kingdom. Journalists at British newspapers are accused of making payments to police and hacking into the phones of celebrities, law makers, royalty, murder victims and other figures in the news. Most cases involve News Corp.'s News of the World, but the Sun as well as Mirror Group publications have also settled cases.


November 2005 - British tabloid News of the World (NoW) prints a story about Prince William injuring his knee, prompting royal officials to complain to the police of probable voicemail hacking.
    August 2006 - NoW editor Clive Goodman and private investigator Glenn Mulcaire are arrested for illegal phone hacking.
      January 26, 2007 - Goodman and Mulcaire are convicted of conspiracy to hack into phone voicemails of royals and are jailed. Andy Coulson, editor of NoW, claims to be unaware of hacking but still resigns.
      May 15, 2007 - The Press Complaints Commission says it found no evidence of phone hacking at NoW.
      July 2007 - Goodman and Mulcaire sue NoW for wrongful dismissal. Goodman receives £80,000 and Mulcaire receives an undisclosed amount.
      Coulson is hired as director of communications for Conservative party leader David Cameron, who becomes UK prime minister in May 2010.
      June 2008 - News Group Newspapers pays £700,000 to Gordon Taylor, chief executive of the Professional Footballers Association, whose phone was hacked by Mulcaire.
      November 2009 - The Press Complaints Commission releases a report concluding that there is no evidence of continued phone hacking.
      March 2010 - Celebrity public relations agent Max Clifford agrees to drop his lawsuit against NoW for a payment of more than £1 million.
      September 2010 - Former NoW journalist Sean Hoare alleges that phone hacking was a common practice at NoW and encouraged by Coulson.
      January 21, 2011 - Coulson resigns as British Prime Minister Cameron's spokesman due to coverage of the phone hacking scandal.
      January 26, 2011 - British Metropolitan Police launch a new investigation into voicemail hacking allegations at NoW.