Melanie Griffith and Antonio Banderas have consensually broken up
The couple have been married for 18 years
Reports suggest Griffith filed for divorce
The split is said to be amicable
Melanie Griffith and Antonio Banderas are ushering in a new phrase for divorce: the “thoughtful and consensual” breakup.
After 18 years of marriage, Griffith and Banderas have announced that they’re going their separate ways.
“We have thoughtfully and consensually decided to finalize our almost 20-year marriage in a loving and friendly manner honoring and respecting each other, our family and friends and the beautiful time we have spent together,” the couple said in a joint statement on Friday.
Their announcement comes after reports that Griffith, 56, has filed for divorce from her 53-year-old husband. The couple have one child together, 17-year-old Stella. According to People magazine, Griffith is seeking spousal support from Banderas and physical custody of Stella with visitation rights for Banderas.
The date of the separation is unknown, and a source tells TMZ the split is amicable.
This marriage was the second for Banderas and the fourth for Griffith. She was previously wed once to Steven Bauer and twice to Don Johnson, with whom she had daughter Dakota Johnson, the actress starring in the upcoming “Fifty Shades of Grey.”
CNN’s Joan Yeam contributed to this report.