Secretary of Veterans Affairs Robert McDonald took over the agency earlier this year
The VA has been riddled with delays of care first exposed by CNN last November
The restructuring announcement was outlined in an interview with CBS' "60 Minutes"
The Secretary of Veterans Affairs announced Monday a massive restructuring of the department in the wake of a scandal that left more than a hundred thousand veterans waiting for health care.
VA Secretary Robert McDonald, who took over the agency three months ago after his predecessor Eric Shinseki resigned, said at least 35 people will be initially fired – and more than 1,000 could soon follow.
“We’re simplistically talking about people who violated our values,” McDonald said in an interview with CBS’ “60 Minutes” that aired Sunday. “It’s integrity, it’s advocacy, it’s respect, it’s excellence. These are the things that we try to do for our veterans.”
But McDonald first needs to build up a case against each person listed on the pink slip list, since a judge needs to approve each firing.
“We’ve got to make it stick,” he said in the interview.