(CNN)Fernando Alonso will have "no trouble at all" as he targets a return to Formula One at the Malaysia Grand Prix after his freakish crash in winter testing.
Jackie Stewart: Fernando Alonso will have 'no trouble at all' on comeback
The McLaren driver sat out the Australian season-opener on the advice of his doctors but will drive in Sunday's race if he passes a medical assessment by the sport's governing body, the FIA, at the Sepang circuit on Thursday.
Jackie Stewart, a three-time world champion and leading motorsport safety campaigner, told CNN: "Alonso will deal with that, no trouble at all.
"He's probably got the best head of any racing driver right now.
"Racing drivers always have accidents of some kind and come back very resilient and better trained. Their physical condition is very good and they are better prepared for racing today than in the history of the sport."
Alonso is renown for his mental strength and the Spanish double world champion has also posted regular updates on social media describing his physical training, including photos of him pumping iron, in the build up to Malaysia.
The CNN-sponsored McLaren team said since his testing accident in Barcelona he has "followed a rigorous, specialized training program... to ensure his safe and timely return to racing."
Alonso was concussed and airlifted to hospital after losing control of his McLaren at the penultimate winter test at Barcelona's Circuit de Catalunya on February 22.
The 33-year-old watched the Melbourne race from his home in Dubai after doctors indicated returning to racing three weeks after a high impact crash was too risky.
McLaren said senior engineers discussed the accident with Alonso when he visited the team's headquarters outside London last week.
The team said in a statement: "While there was nothing evident in the extensive car telemetry data, nor anything abnormal in the subsequent reconstructions and laboratory tests, Fernando recalls a sense of 'heavy' steering prior to the accident."
Stewart believes Alonso and his team made the right decision not to race in Australia, even though it meant delaying the star driver's return to the McLaren cockpit after five years with Ferrari.
"I don't have any doubt at all that his doctors did exactly the right thing and that he had made the right decision personally to follow the instructions of their medical team," Sir Jackie told CNN. "I look forward to see him back in the cockpit."
Williams driver Valtteri Bottas is also facing an FIA medical Thursday after he was unable to take part in the Melbourne race following a back injury sustained during qualifying.
"After such a frustrating Sunday in Australia, I have taken the necessary measures to make sure I arrive in Malaysia fit to race and ready to bring the results home," said the in-form Finnish driver.
Stewart says it is important that F1 continues to protect its drivers, even if it means insisting they sit out races.
The most serious accident in recent times has left Marussia racer Jules Bianchi unconscious and fighting serious head injuries following a crash in wet conditions at the Japanese Grand Prix last October.
"We shouldn't take it for granted that drivers are bulletproof," warned Sir Jackie, who raced in an era of frequent fatalities in the 1960s and 1970s.
"Motor racing is still dangerous. People are surviving accidents but you are this far from death sometimes.
"You've got to recognize that and you cannot be irresponsible. Liberties are being taken today that I prefer are not taken. You can always improve safety."