Hatton Garden heist: 8 men charged in theft from London's jewelry district

Investigators released new images of the Hatton Garden heist in London on Wednesday, April 22. One former police official speculates the loss could run to $300 million.
Investigators released new images of the Hatton Garden heist in London on Wednesday, April 22. One former police official speculates the loss could run to $300 million.

    JUST WATCHED

    8 charged in in connection with Hatton Garden heist

MUST WATCH

8 charged in in connection with Hatton Garden heist 01:24

Story highlights

  • Police arrest a 10th suspect in connection with last month's heist
  • Eight men are charged with conspiracy to burgle in connection with Hatton Garden raid
  • They will appear in court Thursday; a ninth suspect has been released on bail

London (CNN)Eight men charged in connection with last month's so-called Hatton Garden heist, in London's jewelry district, are due to appear in court Thursday, London's Metropolitan Police said.

The suspects, ages 48 to 76, were charged with conspiracy to burgle, according to a statement from the Metropolitan Police on Wednesday.
    The eight men were due to appear Thursday before Westminster Magistrates' Court in central London.
    A ninth suspect has been released on bail pending further inquiries, police said. All nine were arrested in a series of raids Tuesday.
    A 10th suspect, a 42-year-old British man, was arrested Thursday morning in Essex, outside of London, "for conspiracy to burgle," a police statement said.
    The heist over Easter weekend included the theft of gems and cash from a safe deposit company in the heart of London's jewelry district. Police haven't given a precise value for what was taken.
    Numerous British news organizations put the value of the loss in the hundreds of thousands of pounds, but a former police official in London has speculated it could run to £200 million ($310 million), an estimate widely reported by news media.