Wimbledon, England (CNN)There was never any chance of Nick Kyrgios exiting Wimbledon quietly, was there?
Wimbledon 2015: Nick Kyrgios' controversial tournament ends
After uttering "dirty scum" following an exchange with the chair umpire in the first round -- he claimed he was referring to himself -- contravening Wimbledon's strict dress code and seeing his racket land in the stands in the third round, the brash young Australian was accused of not trying Monday.
The 20-year-old -- who on another occasion also climbed onto a railing at the traditional All England Club to watch a match -- had already been issued a warning for an audible obscenity during his 7-5 6-1 6-7 (7-9) 7-6 (8-6) fourth-round loss against Richard Gasquet but a game later in the second set appeared to give away two points on the Frenchman's serve.
On one, he didn't make a move towards the ball.
Soon social media was reacting, with some even using the word "tank" -- or not trying. Kyrgios denied he wasn't trying when he was asked -- or grilled -- about the issue in a press conference after his mixed doubles loss with women's singles quarterfinalist Madison Keys.
It was "just frustration," Kyrgios claimed. "I mean, it's tough out there. I don't really know what else to say.
"I'm not perfect out there. I'm going to have ups and downs."
If officials, however, deem that he wasn't giving an adequate amount of effort, he could be fined.
"If they decide to fine me, they can fine me," Kyrgios, looking weighed down by the questioning, said.
Gasquet came to Kyrgios' defense prior to the match and wasn't about to change his tune although he did concede his opponent made things easier for him.
"Sometime it happens," said Gasquet. "He's not the only one (who) did it. Even the best player in the world did it in the past.
"It's true, he give me a little bit this set. But I knew actually it wouldn't be the same in the third and fourth. He played much better. He's a fighter. After that he fought a lot."
Kyrgios probably opened himself up to more criticism when he said pal and fellow Aussie Bernard Tomic -- who faced accusations of tanking himself at the 2012 U.S. Open -- shouldn't have been suspended for Australia's Davis Cup quarterfinal against Kazakhstan on grass the week after Wimbledon.
Tomic last week hit out at Tennis Australia and the country's former Davis Cup captain, Patrick Rafter, for among other things not helping him more following hip surgery.
He said he sometimes had to pay for courts, which is unusual for elite pros.
"I think the ultimate goal is to win the Davis Cup," said Kyrgios. "That's why we're playing it. I mean, is it not?
"I think out of all the players we have, he's the best on a grass court we have. So yeah, I mean, I'm sure we could put him in."
Kyrgios was considering not playing in the series in protest, according to reports, but seemed to suggest Monday he would indeed participate in Darwin from July 17-19.