France terror suspects plotted to behead military staffer, prosecutor's office says

French Interior Minister Bernard Cazeneuve said one of the suspects is a former French navy sailor.

Story highlights

  • Plot centered on the national commando training center, Paris prosecutor's office says
  • Four suspects, ages 16 to 23, were detained this week, interior minister says
  • The "main instigator" of the alleged plot has ties to jihadists currently in prison, he says

(CNN)Four terror suspects detained by French intelligence agents were plotting to behead a senior military staffer at a military site in southern France, a spokeswoman for the Paris prosecutor's office said Thursday.

The alleged plot centered on the national commando training center in Port-Vendres, near Perpignan, said Agnes Thibault-Lecuivre, and was due to be carried out in late 2015 or early 2016.
    The suspects planned to film the scene with a GoPro camera, she said.
    Interior Minister Bernard Cazeneuve said Wednesday that the suspects, ages 16 to 23, were arrested in four parts of France at dawn Monday on suspicion of planning a terrorist attack against "military installations."
    One of them is a former sailor in the French navy, he said in a statement.
    Thibault-Lecuivre said the youngest of the suspects had been released from custody as of Thursday.
    Investigators identified the "main instigator" in the alleged plot through his "activism on social networks and relations with French jihadists currently in prison," according to Cazeneuve.
    The main suspect, whom authorities had previously questioned, had a desire to travel to Syria, the minister said.
    An investigation