- The workers were abducted Sunday evening, the Italian foreign minister says
- Italy closed its embassy in Libya this year
(CNN)Four Italian employees working for a construction firm on the western coast of Libya have been kidnapped, the Italian Foreign Ministry said Monday.
"We are busy trying to find the people that were kidnapped and trying to solve this problem," Italian Foreign Minister Paolo Gentiloni said. The workers were abducted Sunday evening, and their families were told about it overnight.
"It's very difficult after just a few hours to understand the nature of this kidnapping, who is responsible for it," Gentiloni said.
A crisis team has been activated to assist and coordinate efforts to free the employees of the Bonatti construction company, who were working for Melitha Oil and Gas, the ministry said.
Bonatti is based in Parma, Italy, and specializes in jobs in hazardous areas, according to the company's website.
Earlier this year, Italy closed its embassy in Libya and urged all Italian citizens to leave the country.