Recipe: Eagle Pizza
Top 30 recipe from "Recipes for Healthy Kids Cookbook for Homes" provided by the USDA's Team Nutrition.
- ½ cup fresh spinach, julienne cut "shoestring strips"
- ½ cup fresh romaine lettuce, julienne cut "shoestring strips"
- 2 ¼ tsp salt-free chili-lime seasoning blend*
- 1 ¾ cups canned low-sodium refried beans, fat-free
- ¾ cup fresh green bell pepper, seeded, diced
- ¾ cup fresh onions, peeled, diced
- 1 ¼ cups canned low-sodium corn, drained, rinsed
- 6 whole-grain tostada shells
- 6 Tbsp reduced-fat Mexican cheese blend, shredded (1 ½ oz)
- 1 cup fresh carrots, peeled, shredded
- ½ cup low-sodium salsa, mild
- ½ cup fat-free sour cream
- Preheat oven to 350 °F.
- Combine spinach and lettuce in bowl and set aside.
- In a medium mixing bowl, combine salt-free seasoning blend and refried beans. Set aside.
- In a small skillet, coated with nonstick cooking spray, cook green peppers, onions, and corn for 3-4 minutes. Set aside.
- For each pizza, place ¼ cup of bean filling on tostada shell. Spread mixture evenly using the back of a spoon. Top with 1/3 cup sautéed vegetable mixture. Lightly sprinkle 1 Tbsp of cheese on top.
- Place tostadas on a large baking sheet coated with nonstick cooking spray. Bake until cheese is melted, about 2 minutes.
- Remove tostadas from oven. Top each tostada with: About 1 Tbsp spinach/lettuce mixture; about 2 ½ Tbsp carrots; about 1 Tbsp salsa; about 1 Tbsp sour cream. Serve immediately.
Preparation Time: 25 minutes Cooking Time: 10 minutes Amount: Makes 6 Tostada Pizzas (Legume vegetable can be counted as either a meat alternate or as a legume vegetable but not as both simultaneously).
Nutrients Per Serving:
Calories 206, Protein 9 g, Carbohydrate 32 g, Dietary Fiber 6 g, Total Fat 6 g, Saturated Fat 2 g, Cholesterol 7 mg, Vitamin A 3227 IU (177 RAE), Vitamin C 20 mg, Iron 2 mg, Calcium 173 mg, Sodium 290 mg
*Salt-Free Taco Seasoning Blend (If desired, use 2 ¼ tsp Salt-Free Taco Seasoning Blend in place of salt-free chili-lime seasoning).
- 1 tsp dried onion
- 1 tsp chili powder
- ½ tsp ground cumin
- ½ tsp crushed red pepper
- ½ tsp garlic powder
- ¼ tsp oregano
- ½ tsp cornstarch
Combine all ingredients. If using immediately do not add cornstarch. Store in an airtight container.