The remote Kalaupapa peninsula on the Hawaiian island of Molokai housed a settlement for Leprosy patients from 1866 to 1969. When it was closed, many residents chose to remain.
Over the years, more than 8,000 leprosy patients lived on the settlement. It gradually developed into a small town, with shops, churches, and police enforcement. Paschoal Hall is the community social hall and theater.
Many Kalaupapa residents lived in individual cottages, with gardens. Children and less healthy adults generally lived in communal homes.
Joseph Dutton worked as a missionary at Kalaupapa in the 19th century, and is pictured with patients. Until 1969, Hawaiian law allowed people with leprosy to be forcibly taken to the settlement.