NEW: A new round of French airstrikes hit ISIS targets in Syria
At least 26 U.S. states have said they won't accept refugees from Syria
ISIS has claimed responsibility for terror attacks that killed at least 129 people in Paris
The Paris attacks that killed at least 129 people continued to prompt raids and arrests in Europe and airstrikes in Syria. They’ve also spurred pledges of support from around the globe, while skepticism of Syrian refugees is sprouting in a number of American states.
Many nations also find themselves at heightened terror alerts after ISIS released a video promising more attacks and the CIA director said Paris wasn’t likely a “one-off event.”
Here’s the key information at this stage:
– NEW: French warplanes carried out a new round of airstrikes on ISIS targets in Syria on Tuesday, the French Defense Ministry said. Activists had previously reported a series of aerial bombings early Tuesday in the ISIS stronghold of Raqqa, in northern Syria. There were seven airstrikes and at least three major explosions, according to the collective known as Raqqa is Being Slaughtered Silently, which has documented ISIS atrocities in the city. The French military had already conducted a series of airstrikes in Raqqa on Sunday and Monday.
– At least 26 U.S. states have said they won’t accept any refugees from Syria. The State Department said it is taking the governors’ concerns seriously, but it remains “steadfastly committed” to bringing in 10,000 refugees next year, spokesman Mark Toner said. Officials in six states say they’ll continue accepting Syria’s refugees.
– Three teams of terrorists staged coordinated attacks at six locations throughout Paris late Friday, including a concert hall, the Stade de France and at least two restaurants, Paris prosecutor Francois Molins said. At least 352 people were wounded in the attacks, 99 of them seriously. Seven terrorists were killed, one fewer than ISIS said were involved, Molins said.
– The Paris attacks were planned in Syria and organized in Belgium, French President Francois Hollande said. Six of the Paris attackers spent time in Syria, according to CNN affiliate BFMTV in France.
– Authorities have said they believe at least one suspect in the attacks is still on the loose. Salah Abdeslam was stopped near the Belgian border by French police shortly after the Paris attacks Friday night, but he was not a suspect at that time and was let go, sources told CNN.
– Two cars – a black Seat, and a black Volkswagen Polo registered in Belgium – appear to have been used in the Paris attacks. The Polo was rented by Salah Abdeslam, who was in a different vehicle when he was intercepted at the Belgian border, and the Seat was found in the eastern Paris suburb of Montreuil with three Kalashnikov automatic rifles inside, CNN affiliate BFMTV reported.
– The dead attackers identified by officials so far are 28-year-old Samy Amimour, 29-year-old Ismael Omar Mostefai and Bilal Hadfi, who sources say was 19 or 20.
– The French newspaper Le Monde reports that Ibrahim Abdeslam, Salah’s older brother, was a suicide bomber whose explosives detonated at a cafe on boulevard Voltaire in eastern Paris. The Paris prosecutor’s office has identified that attacker as a 31-year-old French citizen but hasn’t disclosed his name.
– The Paris attackers rented an apartment in the suburb of Bobigny for a week before they launched Friday’s coordinated series of shootings and explosions, according to multiple reports in French media. The apartment was reportedly rented by Ibrahim Abdeslam.