London police treating Tube station knife attack as 'terrorist incident'

A police car is seen parked outside Leytonstone station in north London on December 6, 2015.
Police were called to reports of people being attacked at Leytonstone around 19:00 GMT on December 5. The police have said that they are considering a knife attack the previous evening as a " terrorist incident" after reports that the man reportedly shouted "this is for Syria". The man was arrested after being Tasered by police. One man suffered serious knife injuries while two others received minor injuries. / AFP / LEON NEAL        (Photo credit should read LEON NEAL/AFP/Getty Images)

Story highlights

  • Muhaydin Mire, 29, of east London, is charged with attempted murder
  • "The threat from terrorism remains at severe," a police official says
  • One person suffered serious injuries, but they're not considered life-threatening

(CNN)British police say they are investigating an unprovoked knife attack in an east London Tube station Saturday, which left a man with serious injuries, as a terrorist incident.

The assailant, 29, was subdued with a stun gun and arrested on suspicion of attempted murder at 7:14 p.m. Saturday in the suburb of Leytonstone, London's Metropolitan Police said.
Authorities later said that the suspect, Muhaydin Mire, of east London, had been charged with attempted murder. He's expected to appear in court on Monday.
    Police had been dispatched to the station after receiving emergency calls reporting that a man had stabbed people and was threatening others, police said. The man threatened officers as they tried to reason with him, a statement said.
      Police investigate the scne at the Leytonstone Tube station late Saturday.
      Police are looking into reports that the suspect yelled, "This is for Syria," during the attack, said Chioma Dijeh, a spokeswoman for the Metropolitan Police.
      One man, 56, suffered serious knife injuries in the attack and was taken to an east London hospital, where he remains in a stable condition. His injuries are not considered life-threatening, police said.
      A second man received a minor injury that did not require medical treatment, while a woman was also threatened by the suspect, police said.
      Authorities initially said one person was seriously injured and two others lightly injured.

      'Terrorist incident'

      Cmdr. Richard Walton, head of the Metropolitan Police's Counter Terrorism Command, said police were investigating the stabbing as an act of terror.
      "As a result of information received at the time from people who were at the scene, and subsequent investigations carried out by the Counter Terrorism Command ... I am treating this as a terrorist incident," he said in a statement.
      He urged the public to "remain calm but alert and vigilant" in relation to any potential threat. "The threat from terrorism remains at severe, which means that a terrorist attack is highly likely."