High Court Justice Aphonse Owinyi Dollo is expected to sentence the seven men on Friday.

Story highlights

NEW: A judge sentenced 5 to life imprisonment, 2 to 50-year sentences and one to community service

People were watching 2010 World Cup soccer finals on TV when bombs hit rugby club, restaurant

Kampala, Uganda CNN  — 

The Uganda High Court on Friday sentenced eight people convicted of participating in the 2010 Al-Shabaab bombings that killed 76 people in the capital of Kampala.

Justice Alphonse Owinyi-Dollo gave life sentences to Ahamed Luyima, Hussein Hassan Agad (alias Hussein Agade), Idris Magondu (alias Christopher Magondu), Habib Suleiman Njoroge and Muhammed Ali Muhamed.

Hassan Luyima, a Ugandan, and Suleiman Hajjir Nyamandondo a Kenyan, were given 50-year sentences.

They were all convicted on charges of terrorism, murder and attempted murder.

Earlier Friday, the judge ordered Muzafaru Luyima, 45, a Ugandan, to serve one year of community service. He was an accessory after the double attacks. He was found guilty of having knowledge of people (his brothers) planning and actually masterminding the two bombings.

Muzafaru Luyima said at the hearing his brother Hassan Luyima made a phone call that was supposed to detonate what would have been the third bombing.

He said Idris Nsubuga detonated the bomb at Kyadondo rugby club. Nsubuga already had been sentenced to 25 years in prison.

Coordinated bombs went off minutes apart July 11, 2010, at a rugby club and an Ethiopian restaurant, where people were watching the World Cup final between Spain and the Netherlands on television. Hundreds of others were also injured.

Al-Shabaab, a Sunni Islamist militia based in Somalia with ties to al Qaeda, claimed responsibility for the attacks as retaliation for Uganda’s support for troops under the African Union Mission in Somalia. The group has been waging an insurgency in Somalia for about 10 years with the aim of turning the country into a fundamentalist Islamic state.

Most of the dead in the Kampala bombings were Ugandans. Other fatalities included an Indian, an Irishman, a Kenyan, a U.S. citizen and Eritreans and Ethiopians.

Five people were acquitted in the trial. They were put into custody to protect them from attacks by the public, police spokesman Fred Enanga said.

Journalist Samson Ntale reported from Kampala. CNN’s Ralph Ellis in Atlanta contributed to this report.