(CNN)In the single most momentous day in British politics since WWII, the United Kingdom has voted to leave the European Union. The impact of this result has been far and wide, with global markets hit and UK Prime Minister David Cameron announcing his resignation.
- Outside 10 Downing Street, Cameron tells the nation the people have spoken
- Britain will have a new Prime Minister before party conference in October, he said
- Cabinet is to meet on Monday to work out next steps forward
- Final tally gives victory to Leave -- 17,410,742, Remain -- 16,141,241 (52% v. 48%)
- European markets tumbled , the Dow plunged 500 points at open, and pound crashed to its lowest levels in 31 years.
- See here for all Brexit coverage