Cazeneuve told RTL France that while ISIS has claimed responsibility for last week's truck rampage, which he called an attack "of a terrorist nature," it remained to be seen exactly how the attacker, Mohamed Lahouaiej Bouhlel
, was connected to the Iraq and Syria-based jihadist group.
"What we want to know now is what were the links between the man who was behind this dreadful attack and the terrorist networks," Cazeneuve said.
"Those links, for the moment, have yet to be established by the investigation. So we must still be prudent with what we say on that subject."
Later, prosecutor François Molins said the attacker searched online for terrorist propaganda in the days before Thursday's attack, and a search of his personal computer yielded photos of dead bodies and fighters holding the ISIS flag.
"If no element at this stage shows the allegiance of Mohamed Lahouaiej Bouhlel nor links with individuals claiming to be from (ISIS), the use of his computer, as I've just detailed to you, illustrates an interest and, at this stage, we can say recent investigations into the jihadist radical movement," Molins told reporters.
However, the prosecutor said, Bouhlel was not a practicing Muslim. He had a history of eating pork, drinking alcohol, taking drugs, engaging in "promiscuous" sex and being "a particularly violent individual to his wife and children."
Anger at minute silence
Prime Minister Manuel Valls was met with boos from a huge crowd when he arrived Monday at a memorial in Nice for those killed last week.
There were shouts of "You're not wanted here!" and "You are the terrorist!" ahead of the one minute of silence that thousands observed.
Some in the crowd told CNN they felt the government had failed to provide enough security to stop the attack.
Further arrests made
On Sunday, French authorities arrested an Albanian couple in connection with the attack, a Paris prosecutor's office spokeswoman told CNN.
Agnes Thibault Lecuivre, a spokeswoman for the anti-terrorism prosecutor, did not provide details on the couple's connection to the terror attack.
French authorities said six people are in custody in connection with the attacks. Of the six, three have been transferred to the SDAT, Paris' anti-terror unit.
Bouhlel's estranged wife was arrested at her apartment Friday and released Sunday morning without charge, her attorney, Jean-Yves Garino, told CNN. Garino said the woman, the mother of Bouhlel's three children, had not been in contact with the attacker since they were in the middle of divorce proceedings.
Police shot Bouhlel to death after he barreled down the crowded Promenade des Anglais in a 20-ton truck for more than a mile, crushing and hitting people who had gathered to watch fireworks on Thu