Matt and Sunday Rowan are two of the passengers who died in the hot air balloon
Newlyweds among victims of deadly Texas balloon crash
01:42 - Source: CNN

Story highlights

Part of the balloon hit power lines, the NTSB says

The FBI has found 14 electronic devices, including cameras

Kyle, Texas CNN  — 

Part of the hot air balloon that crashed in Texas hit power lines when it went down, an NTSB spokesman said Sunday after investigators arrived at the accident scene in dusty pastureland south of Austin.

All 16 people aboard the balloon – 15 passengers and the pilot – were killed in Saturday’s crash.

It’s not clear what part of the balloon hit the lines, spokesman Robert Sumwalt said. It’s also unclear whether the fire that broke out on the balloon happened before or after the collision, Sumwalt said.

The investigation will look at three main factors to determine the cause of the crash: the balloon, its operators and the environment, Sumwalt said.

He said investigators are “trying to nail down as best we can” whether fog was a factor. Though it was foggy after the accident, Sumwalt said they don’t yet know whether there was fog at the time of the crash.

Newlyweds, parents among those killed

Friends of some of the victims identified them Sunday. They include the pilot, Nichols, and newlyweds Matt and Sunday Rowan.

The Rowans got married in February, said Brent Jones, the father of Sunday’s 5-year-old son, Jett. “Sunday was a very social person,” Jones said. “They have hundreds and hundreds of friends.”

Matt and Sunday Rowan
Alfred "Skip" Nichols

Sunday Rowan bought the balloon flight for her husband as a birthday gift last year and it had taken them a while to schedule it, Jones said.

“Sunday was messaging her mom before getting on the balloon. Soon after takeoff, she stopped all communication,” he said.

“It’s hard, but I want everyone to understand how great our lives were together and how amazing these two people are.”

Lirette, the ground crew supervisor for the balloon operator, Heart of Texas Hot Air Balloon Rides, described Nichols as his “best friend, boss and roommate.”

Philip Bryant, a balloon pilot, told CNN he knew Nichols.

“I knew him to be a safe, competent pilot,” Bryant said. “He has done this for a very long time.”

Joe and Tresa Shafer Owens were also killed, said family friend Tricia James, who set up a GoFundMe page to raise money for their funeral.

James told CNN she worked with Tresa Owens for more than two decades at a preschool in Katy, about two hours away from where the balloon trip began.

“They adored their children and grandchildren, and loved nothing more than spending time with them,” James wrote on the fundraising site.

“Joe worked hard (to) provide for his family and was always willing to lend an extra hand to anyone in need. Tresa had a long-time career at TigerLand Preschool and made an amazing difference in the lives of the hundreds of children she cared for, their families and also her co-workers and friends.

“So quick to offer up a prayer or a friendly greeting, they will forever be missed by the people who loved them,” James wrote.

The NTSB said the identities of all the victims would be made public later by local authorities.

Electronic devices recovered

The FBI has found 14 personal electronic devices from those aboard the balloon, Sumwalt said. They include cell phones, one iPad, and three cameras.

The cameras, he said, are destroyed, but he said he hopes NTSB lab technicians can recover the images.

“They have been able to do miraculous things” in the past to recover information from destroyed and damaged devices, Sumwalt said.

Nichols used an iPad to navigate and a cell phone to communicate with the ground crew.

Some of those aboard posted Twitter images that investigators will examine as well, Sumwalt said.

Hot Air Balloon Crash_00003826.jpg
Notable hot air balloon crashes
01:29 - Source: CNN

A sunrise trip

The passengers assembled for the ride at 5:45 a.m. in a Walmart parking lot and rode in a van to the launch site, Sumwalt said.

The planned launch time for the one-hour flight was at sunrise, 6:49 a.m. Sumwalt said the balloon pilot waited until after sunrise, per FAA regulations, and the the crew spent some time preparing the balloon to take off.

NTSB investigators examine the downed balloon.

The utility company responsible for the lines reported they were tripped at 7:42 a.m. The first 911 call came in approximately one minute later, Sumwalt said.

The basket that carries passengers came to rest below the power lines, in a field, he said. The actual balloon, called an envelope, landed 3/4 mile away.

Clashes over regulations

Saturday’s crash is the most fatal hot air balloon crash in U.S. history, according to NTSB figures.

Previously, the country’s deadliest hot air balloon crash was a 1993 accident in Colorado that killed six people.

In 2013, 19 people died in a hot air balloon crash in Egypt, near the ancient city of Luxor. That was the world’s deadliest hot air balloon accident in at least 20 years.

The NTSB has expressed concern about safety regulations in hot air balloon activities, but the Federal Aviation Administration, which sets regulations for manned balloons, hasn’t acted on the NTSB’s recommendations, said Deborah Hersman, the board’s former chairwoman.

She said she urged the FAA in a 2014 letter to address “operational deficiencies” in the industry after several incidents resulted in injuries and one death.

Hersman cited accidents in 2007, 2008 and 2013, according to the letter, which also urged more stringent regulations and oversight.

“The FAA has not responded in an affirmative way,” she told CNN’s Sara Ganim on Saturday. “The NTSB (has) classified that recommendation ‘open-unacceptable,’ which means they really haven’t done what the NTSB asked.”

NTSB recommendations

This file photo shows a large-capacity balloon gondola carrying tourists in Kenya.

Given that some balloon gondolas can carry more than 20 people per flight, safety