On Saturday, police raided the offices of the National Olympic Committee of Kenya to find dozens of boxes of team uniforms made by Nike, clothing intended for athletes to wear during the opening ceremony of the Rio Olympics, according to reports by AFP. Officials are now investigating the incident and several Olympic officials have been arrested and questioned over the misappropriated clothing. The police and Ministry of Sports have refused to comment about the case.
The Kenyan team's appearance had raised eyebrows when the team wore mismatched clothing during the opening ceremony. Athletes complained they did not receive adequate kit. Local media alleged some officials may have stolen and then sold the gear.
Kenya is home to many of the world's fastest long-distance runners. Yet despite its best Olympic showing in history, with 13 medals and 15th place overall, Kenya's Rio achievements are now competing for attention with its officials' Olympic-sized mismanagement.
Staying in a Favela
After the Olympics closing ceremony, Kenya's team captain Wesley Korir -- who is also a member of parliament -- remained in Rio last week and tweeted a picture on Wednesday showing a street with an abandoned car. The Favela was where they stayed, complete with gunshots, according to Korir.
"Unbelievable this is where the rest of Kenyan team will spend their night today, after Olympic village is closed!" Korir tweeted. He says the government was waiting for cheaper flights back home to Kenya.
"The best team in Africa and the second best all over the world in athletics and this is how they treat us," he wrote in another tweet.
"We didn't sleep because of gunshots all night, mosquitos everywhere," Korir told CNN the night after he spent the night in the favela. "I call on the president to take action on those that put the lives of these Kenyan ambassadors at risk."
For some Kenyans the treatment of the remaining team was the last straw, and many pushed for the resignation of the Sports Minister, with the hashtag #WarioMustGo trending.
Following the social media firestorm, on August 25 Kenya's Sports Minister Hassan Wario announced he was disbanding the National Olympic Committee of Kenya and investigating the claims of mismanagement at the Games, promising to "make the culprits face the full force of the law."
When faced with allegations of misappropriated kit and mismanagement, National Olympic Committee of Kenya Chairman Kipchoge Keino told CNN he was unable to comment as the investigation is ongoing.
Kenya's Sports Ministry also said it could not comment on allegations due to the ongoing investigation. Police would not respond to requests for comment.