Almost 6,000 suspects have been killed
President's critic calls for impeachment
A 6-year-old Manila boy killed in his sleep is among the latest victims in the ongoing violence against suspected drug criminals in the Philippines.
“There was a knock on the door,” said Elizabeth Navarro, who is pregnant and already a mother of five at 29. “My husband said who’s that? Then I heard two gunshots.”
By the time Navarro realized what was happening, her husband, Domingo Mañosca, and son, Francis, were dead. The gunmen were gone, in what has become open season for anyone suspected of being tied to drugs.
Since taking power in June, President Rodrigo Duterte has waged a brutal “war on drugs.” The crackdown has been linked to more than 5,900 deaths.
On Monday, one day after the latest killings, Duterte revealed he personally had killed drug suspects while serving as mayor of his hometown, Davao City.
A critic calls for impeachment
The President’s comments are tantamount to an admission of “mass murder,” Sen. Leila De Lima told CNN Thursday.
“These are mass murders,” she said. “High crime is a ground for impeachment under (the) constitution.”
Among the dead so far, almost two-thirds were killed in extrajudicial or vigilante-style killings, the rest in police operations. More than 40,000 suspects have been arrested.
Many of these vigilante killings are suspected of having police ties deliberately obscured to avoid an investigation. Duterte has long been accused of using his war on drugs to weed out political opponents.
A newspaper headline Thursday had Duterte telling “corrupt politicians” still clinging to office to “resign or face death.”
Duterte has publicly accused De Lima of benefiting from a drug ring inside a Manila prison and claimed she made a sex tape and had an illicit affair with her driver/alleged criminal accomplice.