Breast augmentation still takes the top spot, followed by liposuction and then nose jobs
"I have seen a rise and fall -- pardon the pun -- in the size of breast implants," one surgeon says
Cosmetic procedures are still increasingly popular in the United States, and a new report shows that most Americans are going under the knife to either change their faces or get rid of fat.
The American Society of Plastic Surgeons released its annual plastic surgery statistics report Wednesday, revealing the most popular procedures performed nationwide last year.
Though the new numbers mirror previous data, certain trends are emerging.
Vaginal, buttocks enhancements are trending
Nearly 1.8 million surgical cosmetic procedures and about 15.5 million minimally invasive ones were performed in the US last year, according to information from an annual survey and a national database system in which plastic surgery society members report the procedures they performed.
The top five surgical procedures were:
- Breast augmentation, which is intended to enlarge or change the shape of the breasts: 290,467 procedures.
- Liposuction, which is intended to remove excess body fat: 235,237 procedures.
- Nose reshaping, intended to alter the shape of the nose: 223,018 procedures.
- Eyelid surgeries, intended to lift sagging eyelids: 209,020 procedures.
- Facelifts, which are intended to enhance the appearance of sagging, drooping and wrinkled skin on the face and neck: 131,106 procedures.
The top five minimally invasive procedures were:
- Botox, a drug that can be injected into the face in an effort to smooth the appearance of facial wrinkles: 7 million procedures.
- Soft-tissue fillers, which are injected in an effort to create a smoother or fuller appearance in the face or lips: 2.6 million procedures.
- Chemical peels, in which a chemical solution is applied to the skin in an effort to smooth wrinkles and create a younger appearance: 1.36 million procedures.
- Laser hair removal, intended to remove unwanted hair from various places on the body: 1.1 million procedures.
- Microdermabrasions, in which an instrument gently sands your skin to imp