1 dead and 9 hospitalized with botulism after eating nacho cheese sauce

The Clostridium botulinum seen under a microscope.

Story highlights

  • The contaminated sauce was removed from sale on May 5
  • Health officials believe there is no continued risk to the public

(CNN)One person is dead and nine others were hospitalized after they contracted botulism from eating contaminated nacho cheese sauce at a gas station outside of Sacramento, California, state and local officials said.

The California Department of Public Health (CDPH) released a statement Monday indicating the cheese sauce had tested positive for the toxins released by bacteria that cause the illness. The same toxins were identified in patients tested by the department.
    The CDPH said it doesn't believe there is any continued threat to the public because the contaminated sauce was removed from sale on May 5.
      Botulism is a rare illness caused by nerve toxins released by bacteria called Clostridium botulinum, according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. Symptoms can include blurred vision, drooping eyelids, slurred speech and paralysis, among others. Some cases can be fatal.
      California health officials say the patients contracted botulism from this gas station's nacho cheese sauce.
      CNN affiliate KTXL reports that one woman, Lavinia Kelly, was reportedly hospitalized after putting the nacho cheese sauce on some Doritos chips on April 21.
      "My phone rings and I pick up the phone and it's her, and she can't articulate a word," her sister, Theresa Kelly, told KTXL. She said that at first she thought her sister was going to die.
        Kelly has spent more than three weeks in intensive care, KTXL reports.