Six face charges over Hillsborough football stadium disaster

    Candles adorn the steps of Liverpool's St Georges Hall on April 26, 2016, in remembrance of 96 Liverpool football fans who died in the Hillsborough stadium disaster.

    Warrington (CNN)Britain's Crown Prosecution Service has confirmed that it has charged six people with criminal offenses over the 1989 Hillsborough disaster in which 96 supporters of Liverpool football club lost their lives.

    A former senior police officer, David Duckenfield, will face manslaughter charges over 95 of the 96 deaths.
    The decision, which comes 28 years after the tragedy, follows last year's inquests which found that those who died were unlawfully killed.
      Prosecutors explained that they are unable to charge Duckenfield over the death of Tony Bland -- the 96th victim -- who died four years after the disaster, because of legal reasons.
      "We move another step forward," said Trevor Hicks, the father of two daughters -- 19-year-old Sarah and 15-year-old Vicki -- who were crushed to death at Hillsborough.
      "There'll be six people facing criminal charges who might not have done had we not have been resilient, stuck together and fought this long fight.
      "It doesn't bring anyone back from the disaster but it sends a message of accountability out as we keep saying that nobody, but nobody, is above the law -- be it the police or anybody else."
      Another parent, Margaret Aspinall, whose son 18-year-old James died in the disaster, picked up on that theme of accountability.
      "What has been achieved today will change things for the good of this nation and I think that's the legacy of our 96 that they would have left behind on their behalf."

      Fatal crush

      The disaster took place at Sheffield Wednesday's Hillsborough stadium on April 15 1989 during Liverpool's FA Cup semifinal game with Nottingham Forest.
      In an attempt to relieve the bottleneck of Liverpool supporters attempting to enter the stadium before kickoff, police opened an exit gate and people rushed to get inside.
      More than 3,000 fans were funneled into an area already packed with people with a safe capacity of just 1,600. Panic ensued and many fans were crushed to death.
      The fatal crush, which led to the game abandoned after just six minutes, led to all-seater stadiums being introduced across England.
      The defendants, except for Duckenfield, will appear at Warrington Magistrates' Court on August 9. A date for Duckenfield's court appearance will be set later.
      British Prime Minister Theresa May said the day would be one of "mixed emotions" for the families of the victims who were informed of the decision this morning.
       Barry Devonside reacts after the families of the 96 Hillsborough victims were told the decision that the Crown Prosecution Service will proceed with criminal charges.
      Barry Devonside, whose son Christopher, 18, was killed in the disaster, told reporters of the scene inside Parr Hall, Warrington, when families were informed of the decision to launch criminal proceedings against Duckenfield.
      "Everybody applauded when it was announced that the most senior police officer on that particular day will have charges presented to him," Devonside told reporters.

      Who has been charged?