1. Practice kindness – Helping others, whether you do it directly like these people feeding the homeless, or anonymously, actually makes the helpers happier.
2. Keep a gratitude journal. – Writing down what you're grateful for in a journal, as these students are doing, can lead to better health and more optimism.
3. Get spiritual – People who are involved in religious institutions and spiritual practices tend to be happier.
4. Buy experiences, not stuff – Buy tickets to sports events, concerts or the theater to share with your family and friends.
5. Buy stuff that creates experiences – A guitar that will get you playing again or a bat to join your local softball team is the kind of purchase that can make you happy.