(CNN)Friday's news that special counsel Robert Mueller had announced indictments against 13 Russians for their alleged roles in a massive -- and complex -- attempt to influence the outcome of the 2016 election is a major moment in the investigation.
- Russia engaged in a deep and broad attempt to influence the 2016 election.
- That plan included social media ads, rally organizing and in-person conversations.
- "Unwitting" people with ties to Trump's campaign were communicated with in the course of this attempted meddling.
- There is no known evidence that Russia's interference operation was successful or changed the election outcome in any way.
- There is no known evidence that members of Trump's campaign colluded with any known Russian actors.
- Two members of Trump's campaign -- national security adviser Mike Flynn and foreign policy adviser George Papadopoulos -- have pleaded guilty to lying to the FBI and are cooperating with the Mueller probe.
- Two other members of the Trump campaign -- chairman Paul Manafort and his deputy Rick Gates -- have been charged with a variety of financial crimes by Mueller. (Gates, according to CNN reporting, is nearing a plea deal with Mueller.)
- Russia views its attempted meddling in the 2016 election as a massive success and will almost certainly try to meddle in the 2018 midterm elections and the 2020 presidential election.