Lagos, Nigeria (CNN)Bashir Manzo is the newly elected head of the parents of the missing Dapchi schoolgirls association. It's a dubious honor, one that he would give anything not to have.
'We've been living in anguish,' parents of missing Dapchi schoolgirls say
His 16-year-old daughter, Fatima, is one of the girls who was taken when armed men stormed the Government Science and Technical College in Dapchi, about 275 kilometers (170 miles) from Chibok, where another group of schoolgirls were kidnapped by Boko Haram four years ago.
The parents are learning fast what it means to have your child stolen by militants in Nigeria. They have come up against a state bureaucratic machinery that is adding confusion and chaos to their pain.
Shortly after the attack last Monday in Yobe state, the governor's office released a statement saying 50 girls were unaccounted for.
They later released another statement to say the missing girls had been rescued by the Nigerian army, although they didn't specify the number that was rescued.
Manzo and the other parents were jubilant, but their cheers quickly turned into tears when the state government was forced to issue an embarrassing retraction the following day stating that the girls had not actually been found or rescued.
Officials apologized in the retraction for the "erroneous" statement and said it was based on inaccurate information.
"The Yobe state government has no credible information yet as to whether any of the schoolgirls was taken hostage by the terrorists," said Abdullahi Bego, an a