There has been, on average, 1 school shooting every week this year
Updated 1505 GMT (2305 HKT) May 25, 2018
Chat with us in Facebook Messenger. Find out what's happening in the world as it unfolds.
We're 21 weeks into 2018, and there have already been 23 school shootings where someone was hurt or killed. That averages out to more than 1 shooting a week.
- A shooting that involved at least one person being shot (not including the shooter)
- A shooting that occurred on school grounds
- We included grades K through college/university level
- We included gang violence, fights and domestic violence
- We included accidental discharge of a firearm as long as the first two parameters are met