NS Slug: SAUDI ARABIA INTERCEPTS MISSILES SHOT FROM YEMEN  Synopsis: Saudi Arabia's air defense says it intercepts 7 missiles shot from Yemen.  Video Shows: - Close up shot of ballistic missile that landed on a Saudi highway - Various shots of people around the missile - Night video of missile being intercepted and exploding and raining debris  - More night video of missile interception    Keywords: SAUDI ARABIA BALLISTIC MISSILES INTERCEPTED YEMEN
Kingdom of Saudi Arabia
NS Slug: SAUDI ARABIA INTERCEPTS MISSILES SHOT FROM YEMEN Synopsis: Saudi Arabia's air defense says it intercepts 7 missiles shot from Yemen. Video Shows: - Close up shot of ballistic missile that landed on a Saudi highway - Various shots of people around the missile - Night video of missile being intercepted and exploding and raining debris - More night video of missile interception Keywords: SAUDI ARABIA BALLISTIC MISSILES INTERCEPTED YEMEN
Now playing
00:54
Watch Saudi Arabia intercept, destroy missiles
CNN
Now playing
05:21
Palestinians fight eviction from homes in East Jerusalem
screengrab kabul bomb
Reuters
screengrab kabul bomb
Now playing
01:35
Families of schoolgirls describe anguish after blast kills dozens
Spain end state of emergency coronavirus Covid-19 lok Mclean intl hnk vpx_00000905.png
Spain end state of emergency coronavirus Covid-19 lok Mclean intl hnk vpx_00000905.png
Now playing
00:58
See celebrations in Spain as coronavirus curfew ends
Uyghur Watson pkg
CNN
Uyghur Watson pkg
Now playing
03:55
'How can we feel safe?': Uyghur on Chinese government policy
Palestinian protesters hurl rocks amid stun grenade sparks during clashes with Israeli security forces at the al-Aqsa mosque compound in Jerusalem, on May 7, 2021. (Photo by Ahmad GHARABLI / AFP) (Photo by AHMAD GHARABLI/AFP via Getty Images)
AHMAD GHARABLI/AFP via Getty Images
Palestinian protesters hurl rocks amid stun grenade sparks during clashes with Israeli security forces at the al-Aqsa mosque compound in Jerusalem, on May 7, 2021. (Photo by Ahmad GHARABLI / AFP) (Photo by AHMAD GHARABLI/AFP via Getty Images)
Now playing
02:45
Israeli police clash with Palestinians at mosque
CNN
Now playing
02:41
Fishermen caught in the middle of dispute between Britain and France
Now playing
03:04
Xi Jinping pledges to make China carbon neutral by 2060
Gianluca Masi / The Virtual Telescope Project
Now playing
02:20
See first photo of rocket expected to crash into Earth
AFPTV
Now playing
02:10
See inside the hospital where nonuplets were born
Anthony Blinken BBC intv
BBC
Anthony Blinken BBC intv
Now playing
03:27
Blinken: US will respond if Russia acts recklessly against Ukraine
Now playing
02:50
Brazil says it's ready to end deforestation in Amazon. But there's a price tag
The trial of the two US citizens charged with the murder of Italian police officer Mario Cerciello in July 2019 has concluded and a verdict is expected.
AFP
The trial of the two US citizens charged with the murder of Italian police officer Mario Cerciello in July 2019 has concluded and a verdict is expected.
Now playing
02:49
Italy charged two Californians with murder. Here are the case details
screengrab myanmar training
Reuters
screengrab myanmar training
Now playing
02:30
In Myanmar's jungles, protesters are training to fight the junta
Reuters
Now playing
01:50
Controversy around Ethiopia's Nile River dam project explained
Mexico C5 security system
Now playing
01:56
Video shows moment Mexico City metro overpass collapses
(CNN) —  

On Sunday night – the eve of the third anniversary of the war in Yemen – the Iranian-backed Houthi high command unleashed their biggest barrage of ballistic missiles so far in the conflict.

Shortly afterwards, the Houthi-controlled defense ministry in Sana’a, Yemen’s capital city, claimed responsibility for the seven long-range rockets, which were fired at Riyadh, the capital of Saudi Arabia, and several smaller Saudi cities close to the Yemeni border.

Saudi defense officials say that all of the missiles were successfully intercepted, but that falling debris killed one Egyptian. The Houthis claim that is a lie, and that some of the missiles did hit the intended targets.

Whatever the outcome, this is by far the most brazen attack yet on Saudi soil by the Houthis. It highlights the conflict’s spread, the danger to civilians and the failure of all sides – even with international help – to find a formula for peace.

Late last year, the UN issued a report criticizing both the Saudi-led coalition and the Houthis for not doing enough to avoid civilian casualties. The Saudis have since been on a public relations offensive to show the lengths they are going to avoid unintended deaths.

The UN also called Iran to account for not doing enough to stop their ballistic missiles getting into Houthi hands.

How important is this attempted attack?

These missiles are an inescapable in-your-face gesture. It will be hard for the Yemeni government, for the Saudi-led coalition and the UN to ignore.

But perhaps the most dangerous factor in all of this was the picking of a moment when Saudi Arabia’s most powerful man – Crown Prince Mohammed Bin Salman – happens to be out of the country on a two-week visit to the United States.

01:30 - Source: CNN
The young prince in charge of Saudi Arabia (2017)

Dangerous, because it gives grist to his calls on President Trump to get tough with Iran.

Right now, Trump might be more than receptive to that idea, having recently hired more Iran hawks to his administration.

Why is it different this time?

The Houthis are pouring fuel on fire that is already raging.

Rather than tamp down the flames and negotiate, they have instead upped the stakes.

Over the past few weeks there have been hints that back channel talks were bridging gaps. These missiles will likely cause any such talks to cease.

How might Saudi Arabia respond?

Bin Salman took huge international heat over his blockades of aid getting to Yemen late last year. He had to back down as his weapons suppliers – Western democracies – had to beat back their critics.

Could he be forced to do so again? Sure he could. Bin Salman is young and, in the eyes of many outside the region, ambitious and impulsive.

But he might also try to play this attack to his advantage – marginalizing his enemies and drawing his allies closer.

Last year, the US was fast to back Saudi claims that the Houthi missiles were made in Iran – the UN eventually caught up with a similar evaluation.

Were the world not at a moment of great diplomatic division, a more cohesive UN response could be conjured from this mess. But right now that seems very unlikely – certainly not without risking a Russian veto at the security council.

Just last week, as President Trump was touting his new multi-billion dollar weapons deals with Bin Salman, the two leaders were already almost perfectly in lock step on Iran – and the need to end the President Obama-era Iran deal.

The Houthi missiles will undoubtedly have accelerated that thinking.

In all likelihood, Trump’s new National Security advisor, John Bolton, will be sharpening his anti-Iran arguments, aided by incoming Secretary of State Mike Pompeo. Bin Salman is exactly the ally they need right now.

And he needs them too, to stop what he sees as Iran’s hegemonic regional expansion.

This is serious, different, and while most of the world may be insulated from fallout of this attack, the tremors of the response will likely be felt in relations between capitals around the world.