The Ebola outbreak is not a Public Health Emergency of International Concern
Inoculations with an experimental vaccine could begin as soon as Sunday
The World Health Organization said in an emergency meeting Friday that the conditions for a Public Health Emergency of International Concern have not been met in the Democratic Republic of Congo, where an outbreak of Ebola virus disease was identified 10 days ago.
Inoculations with an experimental vaccine developed to combat Ebola could begin as soon as Sunday.
Prior to the meeting, WHO raised Congo’s Ebola health assessment risk to “very high.”
Dr. Robert Steffen, the chairman of the WHO’s Emergency Committee, said that 25 deaths have occurred and 45 cases have been reported, including three in health care personnel. Among the 45 cases, 14 have been confirmed, mostly in the remote Bikoro health zone, although there’s one confirmed case in Mbandaka, a city of 1.2 million.
“The risk of international spread is particularly high since the city of Mbandaka is in proximity to the Congo river, which has significant regional traffic across porous borders,” a statement noted.
Dr. Peter Salama of WHO Emergency Preparedness and Response said, “Overall, we’re tracing more than 532 contacts.” He described the effectiveness of identifying and reaching contacts as “very high” in Bikoro, where most of the cases have occurred, though medical personnel are experiencing difficulty in smaller outlying villages.
While doses of the experimental vaccine began to arrive in country on Wednesday, Salama said that the WHO is still seeking the necessary government approvals to use the vaccine. He added that the inoculation program will be complex.
The first phase of the vaccination program, which includes confirmation of cases and then identification of primary contacts and secondary contacts, will include “in the range of (8,000) to 10,000 people,” Salama said, adding that inoculation will begin in populous Mbandaka. “And then we go from there.”
Nine neighboring countries, including the Republic of Congo and Central African Republic, have been advised that they are at high risk of the spread and have been supported with equipment and personnel.
On Saturday, the International Organization for Migration plans to help deploy teams of medical staff from the health ministry to 16 points of entry along the country’s borders, according to a statement from the UN agency.
Border health officials will set up infection control and prevention measures at priority border crossings, travel routes and congregation points to prevent the outbreak spreading beyond Congo.
Dr. Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus, the WHO’s director-general, said he has asked international heads of state to commit to the necessary funding, and “we’ll hear their responses soon.” The strategic response will require $26 million over three months, and $9 million has been pledged. He noted that the Ebola crisis occurring in 2014 in West Africa cost between $3 and $4 billion.
“We are very encouraged despite the challenges we’ve seen because of the strong coordination between government and partners,” said the director-general, who said he visited the epicenter of the outbreak last weekend.
Outbreak enters ‘new phase’
The discovery of a case in Mbandaka indicates the outbreak has entered a “new phase,” the country’s health minister, Dr. Oly Ilunga Kalenga, said Wednesday.
The case was confirmed in Wangata, one of three health zones of Mbandaka, the capital of Equateur province in northwestern Congo. Previously, infections and deaths had been limited to the rural Bikoro health zone, nearly 150 kilometers away.
The spread of the virus from rural areas into a city has raised fears that it could quickly spread and become harder to control.
“This is a concerning development, but we now have better tools than ever before to combat Ebola,” the WHO’s director-general said.
The organization is working with the health nongovernmental organization Medecins Sans Frontières, the Red Cross and other partners to boost the number of special isolation wards to treat patients. The WHO’s own staffing will include 100 experts deployed in country by the weekend, said the director-general, while the US Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, a team from the UK and the European Union will also provide personnel.
“Tens of thousands will be ready,” the director-general said, if a big response becomes necessary.
WHO personnel and others will conduct surveillance in the city and inform local communities on treatment and prevention methods in collaboration with the country’s Ministry of Health.